PDA

View Full Version : Conneaut Lake

muskie52
07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Gonna be in the area this weekend and part of next week. I'm gonna have my boat with me, which I can't take on Pymo due to the horsepower restrictions. I'd like to give Conneaut Lake a try. I know that it will be a madhouse with jet/water skiers so I plan on hitting it early mornings/late evenings. Any tips on lures, and does anyone know if there are lake maps available? Any other tips are appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

Pescatore
07-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Troll the East side of the lake. Especially in front of the Restaurant. There is a large "weed wall" that runs up that side. Get your lures as close to that wall as you can without hitting the weeds and with the right lures you'll catch fish. Most fish will be Pike, but the occasional musky will be mixed in.

muskie52
07-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Pescatore!

muskie52
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, I made it back to Lebanon after spending the past 4 days in the town of Westford. I spent Sunday evening on Conneaut Lake. No bites or follows. Pleasure boaters and floating weeds made it darn near impossible to fish. I spent the first hour cruising the shoreline checking out the weedbeds. It definately has nice structure and cover....I just picked a bad time of year I'm sure.

I fished Pymo every morning and evening. Not a sniff there either. I was stuck using my uncle's 14ft tinny with no electric motor or fish finder. It was fun fishing old school but not very productive. Didn't see a muskie. Oh, I did get a beauty largemouth....a tad over 22 inches. Caught it burning a yellow eagle tail...go figure. I caught 2 smaller (16 inches or so) largemouth on a pearson grinder. I did talk to a gentleman at the launch Monday morning who was leaving the lake as I was. He caught a mid 30's muskie and lost 2 others that morning. All on jerkbaits. Here's a pic of the bass.
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b460/muskie52/JadalynsBirthandPymoBass025-1.jpg

Esoxman
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
That's a beauty, M52. Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with the muskies. It seems lately that the musky guys have been getting nice LM, and the bass guys have been getting the muskies (down-sizing lures may be the trick for the toothy critters).