PDA

View Full Version : Hit the "Slop" for Hot Mid-day Action!

Joel DeBoer
07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
The heat is on – literally! Recent air and surface water temperatures as are steamy as they have been all year. Just last night water surface temps were still 83 degrees yet at 10:00 p.m.! Often, the bright sun and hot conditions of mid-day summer afternoons is thought to be one of the worse times to be fishing, and in certain situations it is; however, for anglers looking to score on catches of bass, northern pike, and even muskies, this is the perfect time to work lures in the “slop”. As the heat of the summer days has increased, fishing the slop locally has been a productive tactic of late for my clients and me.

Just what is “slop”? Slop is basically any combination of thick weeds that grows to the surface of the water, and quite often found in our shallower lakes here in Wisconsin. These thick mats of weeds hold countless numbers of prey species such as insects, smaller fish, frogs, and the like. In turn, the predator fish such as largemouth bass and northern pike are drawn to these areas for the food. In addition to finding food and a place in which to hunt it, larger gamefish also may find solace from the bright sun as well as angling pressure and boat traffic in the thicker weed beds.

So where does one begin fishing, after all, some lakes have acres and acres of dense weeds that could hold fish. For starters, look for slop that has access to deeper water in close proximity. Next, look for the weed beds that are made up of more than one type of vegetation. For example, weed beds containing random patches of lily pads will typically hold more fish than a weed bed made up of all the same style plant. In addition, if there are logs, stumps, or any other types of structure in the slop – all the better! “Slop” adjacent to docks can be dynamite as well, and a good dock will often consistently produce fish all summer long.

Fishing the slop is an exciting method to catch fish, but does require more specialized equipment. For starters, a long, stout rod is much better suited for providing the strength and leverage necessary to muscle a big fish from the heavy cover; I prefer a 7 to 8’ foot heavy action St. Croix casting rod equipped with an Abu Garcia 5500C3 or 6500 C3 and spooled with 50#-80# Sufix Performance Braid. While this may seem like overkill, the heavier equipment is necessary to bring the fish to the surface as soon after the hook set as possible; the longer it takes you to bring the fish out of the slop, the more likely it is that the fish will manage to free itself. You will be amazed at how challenging it can be to muscle out a big largemouth from its weedy lair, and should you hook a large northern pike or musky, you will have your hands full!

As for lures, there are a variety of weedless presentations that work well. My personal favorites for slop fishing include weedless surface lures such as the Snag Proof Bleedin’ Frog or Texas-rigged Mister Twister Hawg Frawgs, large buzzbait-style lures such as Lance Lures Squealin’ Hog, and prop/buzz hybrids like the Mister Twister Top Prop and Super Top Prop. With surface lures, you get to see all the heart-pounding action up close and personal. As with any type of surface bait fishing, it is important to remember to “reel ‘til you feel” – if you set the hook every time a fish blows up on your bait without feeling them, you’re going to come up empty more often than not.

The next time it seems too hot to head out for an afternoon of fishing, give slop fishing a try. Not only is it exciting, but you may be rewarded with one of the trophy fish that reside there! Wear your sunscreen, and I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,