PDA

View Full Version : First time to the T.F.F

merklew
07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I am coming up from Central Ohio and making my first visit to T.F.F. the last week of July. Will be staying someplace on O'Meara's Road and would welcome any advice on what I should bring as far as lures and tackle are concerned and also where a bait store might be. I like to fish for anything from panfish to the mighty musky. I have been reading about all the jumbo perch being caught and am excited about getting into some of that action. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

George
07-03-2011, 06:49 AM
I would suggest you contact Don Pemble. He's forgotten more about fishing the TFF than any of us will ever know.

Musky Mauler
07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
For musky, the black bucktail has to be the all-time best lure. If you've fished muskies, you probably will agree. For perch, steadfast nightcrawlers are hard to beat. Some fishermen prefer to use only a piece of a crawler, attached to a jig. But, you hafta be careful 'cuz a big 'ol walleye might jump onto your hook instead of a perch. Walleye and perch are cousins, inasmuch as they both belong to the Percidae family of fish. (That's why they resemble each other. Sauger are also a kissing cousin of both fish.) Most fishermen feel that walleyes can only be caught at night. But, by and large, most TFF walleyes are caught in daytime. That's why a walleye just might beat a perch onto your hook. Not many fishermen saunter out onto TFF at night. Besides, TFF is MUCH prettier in daytime. Some speak of "hazards" on TFF. The biggest hazard, however, is that you will become infected with "Turtle Flambeau-itis," and won't be able to resist coming back every year. Remember, though, the limit for 'eyes is 2 (TWO) this year. Full-fledge bait stores are in Mercer. But, you can usually find crawlers at Camp One - - where they also stock suffiient amounts of Kugel. It's around the corner from Omeara's. Ask anyone.

merklew
07-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info, hopefully I will finally catch ski with my bucktail. The joke around where I live is if want to catch a muskie go bass fishing using a crankbait.

smallmouth99
07-05-2011, 04:04 AM
I just came back from there a few weeks ago and live in Hilliard. I would be willing to get together with you and sit down with a map and show you what I have learned. This was year 2 for me.
DAn

merklew
07-05-2011, 05:59 AM
That would be great! I live in Centerburg, close to Mount Vernon, name a place and time.

smallmouth99
07-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow you are further away than I was expecting.
I am thinking of meeting a buddy Fri night at Hoover to do some catfishing around 7:00. I could be there at 6 if you can make it by then