PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 7/2

Steve Herbeck
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
beautifull weather all week projected same for next week also,temps avg 80 with breezes and sun/partly cloudy.
water temps now high 60's and weed growth is coming along nicely with the sun and warm water.
mayflys have been a very sporatic hatch and haven't really affected fishing at all negativley on eagle and other lakes we are fishing anyway.
walleyes have been excellent. both an excellent weed bite and hump bite going on. weed bite generally 8-14' and humps 15-22' though some catches were deeper on thurs-fri when we had parts of the days flat and sunny. jigs,spinner rigs and cranks on weedlines and over flats and jigs and lindy rigs on the humps. minnows,leeches and crawlers.generally more eaters 14-18" % wise on the flats,same with most humps central sections,more slot and over fish % wise portage,vb,and west.
again the fly-ins and 4wds were very strong with walleye fishing being almost stupid.
muskies still being a little weird with a lot of big slow follows though simpsons boated a 52" and newmans a 55" (PIC ON ANDY MYERS LODGE FACE BOOK PAGE). tollaksons fished muskies 1/2 day and boated his first at 42,same with the connollys,the young group went out one evening for a 3 hr tour and boated 3,5 to 48" caught fishing walleyes off the dock after supper this week with several more getting off on light tackle and again several monsters grabbing hooked walleyes and holding on all the way to the boat.any groups fishing muskies all reported lots of big follows but mostly slow and lazy acting.we're getting close to things breaking loose and with the weather patterns it should/could happen coming up this week and next.fish coming off both weeds and rocks relativley shallow though as i said some big muskies roaming the deeper humps with the walleyes too. not a bad idea to throw a few casts anywhere you knows lots fo smaller walleyes being caught or if you're fishing walleyes,catching alot, and all of a sudden it goes dead,guess who moved in.mostly jerkbaits,bulldawgs,and topwaters,got to throw blades to keep em' honest but they weren't the best last week.
pike were slower than the weeks previous,probably with warming water in transition moving out to basins.
2 groups fished lakers 1/2 day and all boated fish with young nathan connolly boating a 15-18#er.
not many fishing bass though mcleims who love to cast baits had a great day with 40+ fish avg 16-18" on cranks,spinnerbaits,and leeches on rocky/sand shorelines near spawning areas.
i'll be posting a ton of 2011 pics here on the board next couple days,stay tuned!

just had a group, last week had to move from july 9-16 to sept so i got an availablity there for you if you're considering a trip. aug 27-sept 3 and sept 10-oct 8 got some openings also.if any other dates work better be sure and call as i've had a few looking/asking to move dates because biz or other commitements.
shaping up to be a great season with most guests leaving last week saying it was one of the best trips they ever had.
come join us!!
steve
AML