PDA

View Full Version : T.F.F. Update

Don Pemble
06-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Fishing action was pretty good the last two days as most species were on a good bite except for the gills. Tuesday was spent with some very good friends, John Gransee and his twin sons, Sam and Ben and we had a very good day. The morning hours were spent working shallow wood and weeds and we came up with a couple of eyes, along with some jumbo perch, smallies, and several pike. We then rigged up with in-line spinners/bobber rigs and drifted the shallow mud flats and scored big time on the eyes and jumbo perch. In no time at all, we loaded up on the eyes and got another 30 jumbo perch. Wednesday was a day for putting fish in my freezer and I found my 2 eyes right away in a wind blown log jam the was tucked into a small bay. Worked other simular areas and caught nothing but pike and a few smallies.

Mark Benson
06-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Don:

Interesting setup!!! Wondering how big of inline spinner and perhaps any one (brand/color) better than any of the others??? What kind of depth are you doing this on the flats...

Mark

Don Pemble
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Mark,

I build my own in-line spinners, number 4 colorado spinners in silver or brass with medium size long shaft wire hook , drifting over 4 to 5 feet of water. Tip with 2 inch piece of crawler.

Mark Benson
07-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Good stuff, Thanks Don!!!

Mark

George G
07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Don, I bought some of your spinners two years ago and shared them with some friends of mine that stay next to Donners Bay. They really worked great this year on the perch, gold was the hot color when we were there Memorial Day week. Simple but really effective. We used all sizes of fat head minnows and the perch were on a bite. Even some of the small crappie minows were effective. Might have to re-up on them once again. Big item is to get back up by you once again. Soon. Thanks

George G
07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Don, I also might add that those wire hooks work really well for loss of a rig, they will straighten out enough to get free if you get snagged on weeds or wood. Good idea.

Don Pemble
07-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks you all, still have some left, and will be making more during the off season, looks like it will be during my recovery from my surgery this fall. If I can sit at a table and recover, I'll be able to build you some in-line spinners.