PDA

View Full Version : Report for 6-27-2011

walleyemaxx
06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi everyone,

The bug hatch is in full swing. Bugs of all sizes are coming out of the water at night and returning the next day to lay their eggs on the water. The fish I cleaned yesterday were full of larvae. I fished hard all day untill I got chased off by a nasty storm in the late afternoon. I waited it out then went back out. What a difference in conditions. Before the storm it was mostly sunny with a moderate southwest wind and warm temps. After the storm it was down right cold with hurricane winds from the Northwest.

I managed to catch Walleyes from 4 different spots along with the usuall array of Perch, Blugills, and Bass. I kept throwing my second Walleye back so I could legally keep fishing for them. All the fish were caught on jigs and leeches and the spots that produced are the deeper wood spots in the soft bottom areas. I tried a lot of different type of spots, but the active Walleyes are deeper. All I can find in the weeds are the Northerns and musky. Even the Bass are in the deeper water with all the other species of fish. After the bug hatch slows down in about a month, I suspect we'll find more weed orientated fish. The Walleyes are always near their food source, and now I think the bugs are on top of their menu. The fish I cleaned yesterday were full of larvae. The larvae live in the softer mud bottoms, so that gives an indication where to look for active Walleyes. Also, when you pull up a stick from the soft bottom areas, look it over and you'll see bunches of bugs crawling around them. That is the larvae. There is millions of different types of bugs living in the water and the fish eat them all. The bugs all hatch at different times determined by water temps. this will go on all sumer long, but with determination, the well fed Walleyes can still be caught.

If you're coming up on vacation and want to learn the latest locational patterns for Walleyes, give me a call. I'll show you where and how to catch Walleyes as the seasons change. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx

JerkyJosh
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Fished Thursday night with no luck at all. Given the weather and temp i did not expect much but thought I would try anyways. Friday night I caught 2 walleye 11 and 18. Released the 11 and ate the 18. Was fishing deep bogs aroun 20 fow. Both of these fish hit a leech under a slip bobber. Satuday night I took the GF out and she caught here first walleye ever. It was a 14 incher and she was upset that i would not let her keep it. The worse part is i forgot to take a picture of the fish and her, that did not go over to well. I think i just did my normal routine of sizing it and if it is not over 15 I throw it back or if it is over 22 i throw it back and just threw it right in the water. Anyway it was fun to watch her reel it in and we both will never forget it. i also caught 2 walleyes in the same spot 13 and 14 just jigging with a leech and both were released. My brother was on vacation this week so I was trying hard to make up the inches that i am down on the walleye board. I did fairly well this past week, given the weather. He got home on Sunday and we went out and with in 45 minutes he pulled up a 25 incher. his biggest walleye ever. i snap a photo and he put it back and all that fishing I did to catch was earsed by one fish. i have netted a lot of big fish for him this year, but that is always fun too.

Good Luck fishing everyone.

walleyemaxx
06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Het Josh,

Lots of guts throwing your girlfriends 1st Walleye back. It wouldn't have been the end of the world to keep that one. No picture??? Shame on you haha. tell her you'll take her to catch more Walleyes big enough to keep later. If you have a picture of your brothers 25" Walleye, post it. I'd like to see it and congrats! That's a nice fish. If you want, you can email it to me and I'll post it. Thanks.

Walleyemaxx