PDA

View Full Version : JUNE 21ST Report

Rob Manthei
06-21-2011, 08:29 AM
1377713778137791378113777137781377913781While the thunderstorms roll thru the area, and we wait it out, I figured I'll post an updated report.

A lot of things are changing in the lakes right now....most lakes are seeing the panfish spawn rapping up, bass are done, and now the mayflies are starting to hatch on most of our lakes.

The mayflie hatch will slow the bite for walleyes, but there are many ways to dodge this bullet. If the flies are just starting to hatch, you will be fine for a few days....jigs and crawlers(or just a 1/2) will catch walleyes as these bugs come out of the mud....as the hatch grows, it just becomes tough to compete with an all-u-can eat buffet from Mother Nature. The other way is to search out lakes that haven't seen the hatch coming yet....stay ahead of the game, or go back 5 to 7 days after the hatch has started on the lake...try not to fish walleyes during the height of the hatch.

I've been finding walleyes on deep weed edges of coontail and cabbage in most lakes...leeches and crawlers are working on either 1/16 Bait Rigs Slow Pokes and/or slipbobbers. Look for the wind blown areas and move around until you find active fish.

Muskies are moving pretty good all of a sudden in the weeds....Actually seen some very large fish over the last 2 days(2 being over 48")....hope to find them in the net soon...

Suicks, Flashers, Showgirls, and Bait Rig's new Double 7 mag 10 are getting the attention of these fish for me right now....with an average of one nice fish a day finding its way into the boat.

A lot of unstable weather over the next couple of days will hopefully provide some good feeding windows.....otherwise dodging the lightning bolts and thunder will be the other option....

Water temps have dropped a bit to the mid 60's, but this weekend looks to warm back up and I am sure we'll see a couple degree rise that really should get things going.

Below are some pics of the recent days on the water....