PDA

View Full Version : What would you rather have when staying in Mercer......

Ruff Fish
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm just wondering what is more important if your family is staying in Mercer on vacation for a week...

Where I stay in Mercer, my cell phone is useless, as are most of the other peoples that have stayed there. I don't have tv reception, but if I put the antenna back up, I can get the 3 public TV stations.

If you were able to pick what a cabin had available, which of the following....

Internet.....

Cable/dish TV.....

Telephone line......

I know I'd rather have the internet.... I could check the Mercer/TFF posts, you can monitor cabin heat issues from home, check on sports (if needed).....

I'm curious what you guys think. Especially those who rent a place for vacation, or rent a place out to others......

CincinnatiCrew
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd have to say Internet by a landslide. If you have internet you can watch TV and you essentially don't need a phone either unless of course it's an emergency and you need someone right away.

mkoeh475
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Nothing should be an option. I get enough cell service that if there's an emergency I can be reached, otherwise I am happy to get away from everything

dewkid
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I stay at 2 different resorts in Lake Bastine area and only want cell phone coverage for emergencies which my carry is rather good in that area. Internet allows better weather updates don't want TV.

FraudDog
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Since we'll be newbees staying at Joe Miller's for the summers, what cell services work good there? If I can get cell service I can get internet on my air card and that is all I need to stay in contact for business and pleasure.

thanks

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
We have installed cell phone amplifiers in our cabins that allow our guests to use their cell phones for calling and smart phones for internet. Additionally, you can purchase an air card from your cell phone provider that plugs into the USB port of your laptop for internet service with the cell phone amplifier. Verizon and AT&T have towers in both Park Falls and Mercer, so they provide the best coverage in the area. Without the cell phone amplifier, service is basically nonexistant in the Lake Bastine area.

The Midway Bar also has a cell phone amplifier and Wi-Fi for use by their patrons.

Hot Runr Guy
06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
We have installed cell phone amplifiers in our cabins that allow our guests to use their cell phones for calling and smart phones for internet. Additionally, you can purchase an air card from your cell phone provider that plugs into the USB port of your laptop for internet service with the cell phone amplifier. Verizon and AT&T have towers in both Park Falls and Mercer, so they provide the best coverage in the area. Without the cell phone amplifier, service is basically nonexistant in the Lake Bastine area.

The Midway Bar also has a cell phone amplifier and Wi-Fi for use by their patrons.

Scott, what model cell amp did you install? My Verizon air card just barely gets a signal at times (over by Donners), so if the investment isn't too bad, it may be worth getting one.
Thanks, HRG

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-17-2011, 06:47 PM
HRG,

We bought a Wilson cell amp through Northstar Electronics out of Ironwood, Mi. They installed and fine tuned it as well. We are quite happy with their product and service. Their number is 906-932-9018. Talk to the owner, Mark, and please tell him I made the referral.

Ruff Fish
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Scott, thanks for that... I wasn't aware of the availability of such an option. I like the lack of a recurring expense with the amplifier!

Thanks!