PDA

View Full Version : report

beelzebob
06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
just got back, ended trip early secondary to 20 degree temp drop + rain + kids. Yesterday we got into a variety of fish - I was trying to get the kids on gils and rock bass, got a few nice gils up to 9.75", still full of spawn. Also a lot of snaky pike, a few rockies, a few perch, one 22" walleye that was in 3' of water, and some smallies including a Zebco destroying 18" - my daughter kept cranking the entire time that fish was fighting and I've never heard a sound like that coming from a reel. Sure enough, it expired shortly thereafter. Most water in 68 degree range, found some bays with 72 - but no gils there. Caught most of the fish on small Gulp and tiny jigs - including that walleye. Trip into Mercer to the sport shop for a couple new kid reels, got Daiwas - they seem pretty well made compared to the Zebco and Johnson, which were decent when I was a kid but we all know that story. Walking along the river I observered a fair number of Mayfly nymph cacasses on the rocks, none of these on the flowage that I saw. Once again, an east wind..... never seen so much easterly wind.