PDA

View Full Version : smallmouth spawn status

goods
06-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I know the smallies spawn at different times throughout the lake but in general are the majority of the smallies post spawn yet? Anyone have approximate water temps ?

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I was talking with guide, Bobby Orr, last night and he told me the water temp was about 70 degrees.

BlueRanger
06-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Smallies spawned just under 2 weeks ago, close to 3 weeks later than average. It's been the third week of May in 8 of the last 11 years - they were early once and late twice. AndrewR was on the TFF Monday and texted me that bass fry were abundant in the shallows, so most of the males should be done with guard duty by now. He reported a good morning bite that lasted until about 10AM.

The majority of them spawn on the same day in a given area, although a few fish are always earlier or later. The difference in the peak from the fastest- to slowest-warming areas is typically 2-4 days and can be shorter when it's late or if one or two very hot days quickly push the water temperature over the hump everywhere. Blair and a couple other isolated areas are usually ahead of the rest of the Flowage by a week or so.

goods
06-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, this helps out big time

AndrewR
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Good luck. Temps were anywhere from 66 to 68 when I fished last Monday. With all the wacky weather I'm sure things have definitely changed since then. While things were going good for me between 7:30-9am I sent Bill (BlueRanger) a message that I was hoping for a 40 fish outing by the time I pulled out. He thought a 50 would be better but once 10am came around it all shut off like a switch. Ended up staying until 1pm trying out new things and exploring to no avail.

Still, it was pretty good though while it lasted. Everything was coming on a 5" Chompers twintail (hula grub) rigged on a 1/4 oz. Owner weighted worm hook.

Deeper rocks (whether dropoffs or shore) and mid-lake (channel) rock bars held nearly all fish.

I just got back and will have some photos thrown up separately within a few days.....