PDA

View Full Version : Stonewall Jackson

lowbidder
06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I started fishing central WV this year and my goal is to become very familiar with both the rivers and the lakes. I've been looking for a place to get hydrograph maps of Stonewall Jackson and Stonecoal lake since they're the closest to me. I've had absolutely no luck online. Does anybody know where I can find these or do they not exist? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Mike

Red Childress
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Not sure if you can dig something up from this site because I have not had a chance to investigate it thoroughly yet myself.....might be a link somewhere on it to help your cause.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/fishing/weekly_fishreport.shtm

lowbidder
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks Red. It did have a surface map different from the ones I had found on other sites. Showed the boat launches (of which there are many). I'm going to call a few local bait shops today and see if they're any help.

If all else fails, I will order a pre-1990 topo map of that quadrant, blow up a surface map to the same scale and make my own rough hydrograph. Luckily, it's a very young lake so the topo maps available should be good quality. Better than nothin'.

Red Childress
06-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Any luck yet on the hydro-map??

lowbidder
06-21-2011, 07:35 AM
No, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to find one either because it doesn't exist. I found a nice surface map online that shows all of the no-wake zones and fish habitat development zones which are also no-wake.

I'm heading down this weekend on a scouting mission. I'm either going to start marking points at Stonewall or I'm going to float the lower buckhannon in my kayak to mark the deeper holes and impassable spots with the handheld GPS. At least if I go to SWJ I can troll all day while scouting :D