PDA

View Full Version : Hookset on the Flyrod

ttabaleulb
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm sure most of you are tired of hearing me moan about my struggles with hooksetting using the flyrod. LOL Well, this year I have been focusing on a few things that seem to be helping quite a bit (hope I'm not jinxin myself). I won't know until the end of the season whether my luck will continue, but the following are things I'm working on:

1) Strip strike, strip strike, strip strike!! I don't want to see the the rod go above my shoulder until I feel the fish make a move after hookset.

2) Sharpening hooks religiously! I know I should have been doing this all along but better late than never.

3) Use of trailer/stinger hooks on my single hook flies. This has helped with at least one Musky so far, and a nice pickerel too.

I have also been doing my best to land one on a surface fly and have missed a few already with that technique. I just need to get the timing down and hopefully I'll have one in the net soon. Even missed a couple on the surface with conventional gear too. Definitely something I need to work on.

Anyhow, hope everyone is having fantastic Musky action this year. Heres to hoping the weather gives us great Musky action throughout the Summer too.

Cheers

Jay

flyguy
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
One thing that I find helpful at least on pike (i dont get to do much muskie fishing having no boat and living in the central part of the state), is to either totally remove the barb or trim it down. I have also put a 3/0 barbed hook into my body and this and the insane ease of hook removal are my reasons for strictly barbless. I have not lost a single fish I otherwise would have landed with a barb including many fish that have jumped its all about tension if you lose it you will lose fish. Other people may swear by barbs but you don't have to strip strike near as hard for solid penetration without a barb. Also I do believe that barbless are much easier on the fish due to easier removal if you catch and release. Just my 2 cents.

ttabaleulb
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I couldn't agree more with you. I at least pinch down the barbs on my conventional baits too. I too have put a good size hook thru my own skin and am VERY happy that the barb was pinched. Most of the fish I have gotten in the net have the hooks pop out before I even get a chance to get the pliers ready. Gotta love that. Great advice.

Jay