View Full Version : Big Bay walleyes

jigginfins
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Fished Big Bay last night/afternoon.

Caught 8 walleyes kept 7, plus one pike and lost 4 other suspected walleyes.

Fished 11-4 ft of warm dirty water. Used copper, gold, and purple spinners. Copper did best.

With the warm weather the wigglers and mayflies will start hatching good and then the walleyes come in with the feedbags strapped on. Ill be there.

nitecrawler128
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what presentation(s) do you use for mayfly hatch walleyes. I fish LBDN, and last year when the hatches started, I sucked at catching walleye. I hate to "pry" for info, and I'm not looking for hotspots; just a general idea of what you do. People told me to downsize in a big way during the hatches...even that yielded only a few fish for me. You seem excited for mayfly hatches and I'm dreading them!! Any feedback appreciated.

jigginfins
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
What i like to use is a #3 copper blade to immitate a wiggler of fly. I also use a combo of a #3 blade some beads on top in red and then a #00 to immitate a wiggler even better, or at least i like to think it looks like a wiggler. If a person can get out at the first few days of the hatch you can kill the fish.

I have personally had great luck fishing when a hatch was going on becaue everythings chasing the flys around even baitfish and walleyes will follow them into the shallows too. I look at it like trout fishing, mathching the hatch.

Anything else i can help with i will gladly tell you, just ask.

Hope this helps and good luck.

jigginfins
06-09-2011, 04:34 PM
This is what has been catching fish during the mayfly season.

I have done very well on this in both big and little bay. And killed the fish last year over memorial day weekend on houghton lake in the LP while a huge hatch was taking place.

During a hatch make sure they stay suspended because the fish are feeding up high.

nitecrawler128
06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanx for feedback... when I get the "Mayfly-hatch-woes", I'm going to try your match-the-hatch crawler rig! The ones I was pulling last year sure weren't working.

GoHawks
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Check out Walleye's Choice rigs--by far the best selection and proven year after year to catch walleye. Highly recommended! Mike Gara

The Bait Shop Guy
06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the reports and the great tip, Jigginfins.