PDA

View Full Version : Line choice

tomjohn
06-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok people...For walleye, I was wondering which brand and which weight fishing line you use?

FishEater
06-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I can't speak as far as trolling. I primarily just use Jigs 1/8oz. 1/2 Crawler with 6-8# Mono. This combo is good to about 35'{deeper you have to go/heavier jig or lighter line}
Have had very good performance out of the Cabelas branded lines, Pricing is excellent in the bulk spools ,it's made in Germany{or was last year}
Chuck

perch"n"eyes
06-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I use 6lb for casting and jigging , 8lb for trolling crawler harnesses , and 12lb for trolling with planer boards and bottom bouncers . (6-8lb i use cajun red , 12lb is trilene green line)

nitecrawler128
06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
For me, it's all Fireline for jigging or casting cranks (6-10 lb), great sensitivity, great abrasion resistance, and fairly easy to manage on spinning gear. It's hard for me to use mono any more after getting used to Fireline.
For trolling, I use 40# braid or 15-20# mono. The braid is same diameter as 10# mono, so dive curves remain a constant. I mostly try and find dirty water or fish at nighttime, so "stealth" is not an issue. However, when trolling with braids I keep a loose drag because of the no stretch for the fight. Also, in November, when air temps are sub-freezing the braid has to go because it collects much more ice than mono. I use heavier mono than most people do, but I don't see a need to lighten up. I have no break-offs and still catch fish. I use to use fluoros and lighter line, but I've caught fish in crystal-clear water on dead calm days with all the above listed lines, and catch more fish than I use to with flouros and lighter line with less headaches. With all that said, I consider myself a novice, so I'm just posting what I use... certainly don't take my advice as any form of gospel. Just my .02
...Forgot to mention brands...plain 'ol bulk spools of Stren for mono...and whatever is on sale for braids!!

Hoosier
06-06-2011, 07:52 AM
when i'm up there in the fall, pretty much what perchin eyes goes with. we do pretty good with that.