PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ellis Row Trolling Classic this Weekend

Pete Stoltman
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Any of you who are interested in rowtrolling might want to check out or participate in the festivities at the Bob Ellis Classic this weekend. Check in is at 8:00 am at the Skyview in Presque Isle on Saturday. I'll be attending with my son Peter who is visiting from California. I'm looking forward to bonding with the other rowing nuts and hopefully picking up some pointers. After the event I'll get some photos posted up and the results. The Bob Ellis Classic is named for and in memory of Bob who was a dedicated row troller. Bob lost his life when his boat was struck by a power boat. This is more of a gathering and outing and not a tournament in the usual sense of the word however a traveling trophy is awarded for the largest fish caught during the event.

Pete Stoltman
06-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Had an absolute blast at the BEC. I'm told attendance was down just a touch this year due to various graduations, weddings, etc. but there were plenty of folks out to show off their boats and fish for a day. Beautiful conditions for rowing even though it did get a bit breezy in the afternoon. I fished on Papoose and actually had two fish that I could see following baits for a while but eventually took off. Guess I didn't have quite the right mojo. Two fish were caught on Papoose that I know of by other boaters. Other lakes in the event included Presque Isle and Crab. We couldn't stay for the full results so I'm not sure what was caught on those lakes. All in all this was a really fun event. Nice to see how others rigged their boats and different techniques. Some guys even extend to the point of using antique lures and other gear. I'll be sure to do this one again next year. Thanks to the Skyview Resort/Restaurant for being great hosts.