PDA

View Full Version : Muskie or Bass

The Frog caster
05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Well I did my best to open the Muskie season this weekend.......... but to no avail. Monday was rainy as you all know. I threw my trusty 8" Suick most of the morning along with a topwater cisco. In between to rest my ailing shoulder and switch to my open bail rig, I managed to murder the bass. One smallie and six large mouths in an hour. Bass are fun as they are usually easy to release unharmed. The grandkids enjoyed angling for blue gills off the dock......... lots of parasites on them poor blue gills.
I'm guessing the next week or two will be ideal for Muskies in the Mercer area. Seems everything is a week or so late developing ........... Hope you other guys had some luck. Best Regards, Larry F.

Mark Benson
06-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Frog caster:

Based on your statement: "I threw my trusty 8" Suick most of the morning along with a topwater cisco."

I would scale down on the size of your lures... If you have a heavier bass rod, find a few bass sized baits, appropriate leader and get out after them!!! One of my friend muskie heads was out this past weekend had two on with a Rapala Husky Jerk. The other nice thing about all of this is the less this equipment will aggravate your body's feelings and you may catch some bass along the way!!!

Mark

The Frog caster
06-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Hello Mark, I've read your posts and your advice is always welcome. I've known for years conventional wisdom is smaller in the spring and larger in the fall. For some reason I suffer from bad habits and sometimes drift away from the norm. I do have smaller Suicks and should add weight to them. I have a hard time getting casting distance with smaller lures as I use very heavy line.......... I think I'll try a lighter line and see what happens. Oh, I'm so backward in my thinking I recently tried the ball bearing leaders ....... wow !!!! no line twist what-so-ever ! ......... I'm like Archie Bunker, always resisting change. I have really done well over the years with Bass in our lake. Few can match me on my home turf . I'm going to take your advice and use smaller lures for the Muskie's and see what happens. Best Regards, Lar

sureshot612
06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
so if you dont mind me askin what part of the flowage do you guys hit the muskys i was up in late may and i like to cast i do great on the smallies and northern great fun and a musky some times we stay around donners bay ive fished the flowage for a long time im not looking for the spot on the spot just an area that we may run into one or two do you do better by rat or up the other end by horseshoe we get to troll down here and we do great enjoy the time we spend up along with the company of good friends and food so if you feel like givin up a spot or two will be lookin be lookin for any replys thanks SS612