PDA

View Full Version : South wind = good bite.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-31-2011, 07:29 PM
It's no secret that a good south wind can really crank up the walleyes on the bay. The past few days have been no exception. We had our first real southerly wind of the season on Saturday, and everyone I talked to that was off the Ford River did well. Mostly on crawler harnesses, but a few on cranks, (day and night,) too. Wind had died down on Sunday, but the water was still dirty through mid afternoon, and the bite was still hot.

I was busy busting bass Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the mouth of the Ford River. Landed 41 and lost around 25 over the course of those three trips. Some on soft plastics, (tubes and Senko's,) but most were caught casting or trolling crayfish imitating crankbaits.

Monday brought some good south wind again. My dad fished off of Ford River in the late afternoon, and caught his limit in under an hour and a half. When he came in, he called me at the shop and said he was going to take me fishing. By the time I left work and we got on the river, a thick fog had rolled in. Aside from that, it was GREAT! All I had to do was set lines and catch fish! Landed four nice 18 to 22 inch fish, and lost my limit fish right at the end of the trip. Got them all trolling harnesses with chartreuse or firetiger blades.

I knew the strong south winds today would get things going again, so I headed to one of my favorite "south wind spots" to troll shallow cranks. My buddy Bruce and I started fishing about 5pm, just as the squall line went through. By 5:20 we had 5 walleyes in the livewell, one throwback, and lost one other fish. We figured we'd be limited out in no time, but it wasn't meant to be. We only caught two more fish in the next two passes, (sun came out,) and blanked on the forth run. On the fifth pass, the air temperature rose a good 15 degrees, and the wind picked up another notch and swung to the West. Boat control got to be a real pain, and our eyes were burning from all the dust and sand in the air! Called it quits before we reached our limit, but we didn't mind.

Forecast looks good for Thursday and Friday, (SE winds.) Get out and enjoy it if you can!

YooperTroll
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
You guys must have encountered some serious chop out there yesterday afternoon. That wind was whipping pretty good!