PDA

View Full Version : May 29th and 30th report

Ty Sennett
05-31-2011, 06:23 AM
We fished bass on the 29th and cleaned up on them. I think we caught about forty or fifty of them. We didn't catch a whole lot of really big ones but it was still fun.

On the 30th I had a half day trip in the evening for walleye fishing. There were some wicked storms that went through right before we went out and I think that shut them right down. We didn't even see the crappie on the surface anymore. It waas a beautiful night and we managed to get three walleye in the livewell and lost quite a few others. They were short hitting again.

Good luck,

RobertTB
05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Ty, when they are short hitting, do you consider adding some kind of stinger hook ?

Mark Benson
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
RobertTB:

I really can't answer for Ty, but considering he seems to be busy right now, this would be my guess:

Depending on what Ty was doing for a presentation would probably determine whether or not he would use a trailer. If he was crankin' or ringwormin', probably not, with a jig and minnow, a stinger hooked to the top of the bait might not snag as easily in the Chip environment.

They have been really fussy over here in the Minocqua area as well, to the point of when you give them line, it changed the feel to them and they would drop it immediately even with 1/8 oz. jigs. I was starting with a 3/8 oz. jig working shorelines pretty fast to try to find fish (I understood why they dropped it). Once fish were found I downsized to the 1/8. I could have downsized even more, but a 1/16th and the depth (8'-12' food shelves connected to shore) I was trying to fish with the wind seemed unmanageable.

Mark

Ty Sennett
06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
We were fishing crankbaits over the tops of weeds so a trailer hook is not an option. About the only thing you could do is stop and slip bobber fish those finnicky ones. I don't usually do that when guiding. Clients don't enjoy sitting in one spot too long. Not only do you not learn much of the lake that way but you grow tired of not casting. It's probably more effective at times but I also want clients to enjoy themselves so they come back again. Kind of a catch 22 if you ask me.