PDA

View Full Version : Allegheny Alternatives

GreatLakesStrain
05-27-2011, 08:29 AM
A small group of us has had a muskie fishing trip planned for the allegheny below kinzua for a couple of months now, however, mother nature has thrown us a curve ball. We would be fishing June 17-18. I am looking for a back up plan for muskie fishing NW PA in case water levels do not drop to fishable conditions (out of drift boats). First question: Are there any places in the area to rent john boats on a trailer if we have to fish lakes instead? Second question: Does anybody have any suggestions for some "numbers" waters. Lake wise I was thinking of places less then 500 acres. A couple of the guys may be fly fishing for them and have never caught a muskie. They are very good anglers but I would like to give them a decent shot at fish. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Derek

Ivan
05-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Small lakes in NW PA with good numbers are Tamarack and Woodcock. I can't help with any boat rentals.

Joe M
05-28-2011, 03:51 AM
I agree with Ivan. I think the river will be fine by then. Good luck

Red Childress
05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
After talking to the Corps of Engineers, it looks like the river will be back to normal by 6/1 or 6/2. The Reservoir should be down to summer pool in 4 days.....it is currently dropping 1.5 feet per day right now.

The discharge forecast shows a reduction coming on Sunday.

GreatLakesStrain
05-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. Hopefully mother nature will settle down and we will be able to fish the river. What are the launching/takeout options in Warren? Are there places to put a trailer in to load a drift boat? Also, how nasty are the rocks by the oil refinery are there lots of exposed sharp rocks that will punch a hole in a fiberglass drift boat or is there enough clearance to float through this section? Thanks again. Derek

Red Childress
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
It depends on the river level as to whether the rocks will be in play for you or not. I am not sure how much water your boat drafts either.

As for launches, there are a few. 1 at the Warren Hospital for small boats/canoes, 1 at the end of Betts Park for small boats/canoes, 1 in Starbrick for any size boat, 1 at Buckaloons campgrounds for any size boat but there is a 5.00 launch fee and of course, 1 at the Tailwaters directly below Kinzua outflow that can handle any size rig.

Hope this helps.