PDA

View Full Version : Reef Runner Tuning?

nitecrawler128
05-26-2011, 10:17 AM
First of all, thank you to DooFighter, Schmutzomatic5000, and crazyeyes for their feedback and advice on a previous thread about buying reef runners. I managed to put together a very humble collection of RR's that I think will be effective without breaking the bank. ...so far, I know Blueberry Muffin, Firetiger, and Flame color patterns will catch a walleye. Now I have another rookie question for anyone with RR experience...Does a properly tuned (800 series) deep diver stay down even on a very fast retreive, or will it "blow out" and surface 30-40 ft from the boat? When I put these things in the water by the boat, the action looks pretty good between 1.4 and 2mph, and they seem to run pretty straight. But when I'm packing up and moving, I unclip the board, go to reel up the rest of the line, and sometimes the lures dig in the water and stay down all the way in, and sometimes they blow out and surface behind the boat. Are the ones that blow out improperly tuned, or is this normal under these circumstances? Any feedback appreciated...

wunderbread
05-26-2011, 11:50 AM
The ones you have blowing out are out of tune. RRs are natoriously a pain to tune. Whatever you do, try to keep the eye running straight with the lip. By that I meen don't twist the eye just bend over one way or the other in very small incroments. One that is properly tuned will dig down until you have it right under the rod tip on a fast retrieve. I always let my RRs back about 50 - 60 feet and do a hard fast retrieve when I am tuning them. Good luck and be patient!

crazyeyes
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
As long as they're tuned by pulling them through the water beside the boat I call it good. Especially at trolling speed. Cause you're not gonna troll them any faster than that, and as long as that looks good I say you're good to go.

Also like when they surface behind the boat... I cartwheel them in cause it's easier and faster. Just watch your face when you rip em in real fast.

schmutzomatic 5000
05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Not to start any argument or dissagree with anyone but different people tune differently. IMHO if it is tuned at slow speed by the boat that is good enough for me... I agree that if it runs bad it will only run worse when ripped in but, I have had ones that catch fish and are tuned in my opinion and rip out when crankin them in. Depends how fast you can retrieve um. You are never gunna troll at that speed with them so if it looks true and in line close to the boat that is how I fish um.. tight lines...
P.S.
Now sharp hooks???? Well factory is not sharp enough for me so they get touched if they need it or not...

Fishing Thrills Guide Service
05-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I've had days on the bay when purple demon, purple barely naked, white perch and lights out have been the pick of the litter. When trolling, I always check the baits at the side of the boat to make sure they are tracking straight before setting them! You may need to do a little bend one way or another they can be a real pain at times will catch fish when others won't that is one reason I buy many of the proven colors if one gets bad out of tune I just set it aside and pick another leaving the bad one till I have time to tune it. As far as tuning when I have free time I've spent a few hours going thru the bad ones and every thing else just before a big trip doing nothing but going thru them making sure they are running straight.
I like to be rolling at 2 to 3+ MPH at slower speeds they may seem to be tracking true till you want to speed up or always during s turns or like when crashing the bank, the crankbaits speed up and slow down making them ineffective or fouling them if not properly tuned.

DooFighter
05-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Tuning them boatside is one option and certainly works. A smart guy once showed me how he did it dockside where water is calm and no distractions of rushing to set it because you're almost to the hump, etc. Pile up some line like a fly fisherman and 'flip' it out as far as you can, retrieving it slowly. It will show if its out of tune even at slow speeds when you're simply reeling it to yourself. This method is especially helpful if you fish at night cause tuning them in the dark is another challenge.

I recommend the RR tuning fork tool, $10 well spent. Also, when adjusting that eye to true the lure...if you feel it move, you probably went too far. They're very touchy.