PDA

View Full Version : Best Walleye Fishing

JJH2316
05-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I have heard that the walleye fishing in LBDN is not as good as it used to be, and that BBDN is a better choice. As I will be coming up from Indiana for a few days, what is the recommendation as to which bay to fish?

raywriter
05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I drove up here to LBDN from IL probably a hundred times before I moved back up here permanently in '08. Little Bay has plenty of walleyes and it is easier to to locate structure because it is smaller. That means you will spend more time working spots that offer potentially good catching. It is also an hour closer than BBDN (if you drive up through IL and WI). I suppose that because I live here close to LBDN, I favor it. Both are good choices. Start here, and expand if you are not happy with the results. Chris and Diane at Bay View are excellent local sources for current information.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the plug, Ray.

While the walleye fishing on Little Bay may not be as good as it used to be, it's still much better than most places. If you're looking for numbers and eaters, Little Bay is the better choice. You won't catch as many walleye on Big Bay, but they are typically bigger fish this time of year.

DooFighter
05-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Big bay is exactly what it says it is...BIG. There is a lot of water there and if you've never fished it before, you could spend a lot of time looking for fish. They are there, though. If you have experience fishing LBdN already, I would probably start there.

Frank S
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Speaking of Big Bay, wondering if anyone has been out at Nahma. Low water can make that a little tricky. Drove by the Fishdam Launch the other day, noticed there seemed to be more water in the river than I 've seen in a while, and a few trailers in the lot. Big Bay can provide some great fishing, but it can also be tough. Waves can get real nasty real quick there. Caught a ton of bass the last few times I've been over, mostly small, but with some decent ones mixed in.

jigginfins
05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
The Nahma launch is in good condition, the lagoons full of water, the mouth is around 2 feet at the shallowest but for only 50 ft of so then its good to go. Went out of it last sun morning with no problem with boats up to 22 ft long cuddy cabins. Fishing sucked in the foggy weather and the hail storm wasnt too pleasent either.

retired
05-27-2011, 06:29 AM
In reply to your question, I would suggest that you start at little bay. I have been coming back to the area for the past 15 years. Rather be at the noc than Saginaw,Detroit Rver,Lake Erie,etc. It is not just the fishing, It really about the people in the area. Good luck.