PDA

View Full Version : Vessel Safety Checks

slushfish
05-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Seems like there was a safety ckeck around Memorial weekend last year. Has anyone heard of one this year?

peanutbutter soup
05-24-2011, 10:15 PM
yeah, the coast guard had boat checks on may 7th.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-25-2011, 10:37 AM
They schedule boat inspections several times a year. When I hear about them, I'll be sure to post something here about it.

One of my fishing partners, Bruce Belanger, is in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. He's told me people can call him directly to set up an inspection anytime. You can reach him @ (906) 789-4333, (he also runs the Great Lakes Timber Show, so if you happen to get his answering machine, you know you've reached the right guy.)

Inspection only takes 15-20 minutes, and is free of charge. They'll make sure all your safety equipment is up to date and in compliance for operation on the great lakes. If you're missing something, they'll let you know what you need to do to fix it. No tickets will be written. If your vessel passes inspection, you'll get a sticker for your boat. That should speed things up if your stopped by the Sheriff or DNR for a safety inspection on the water.

slushfish
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks Chris,
I had the inspection the last 3years at Kipling but it was by coincidence. I knew it was around Mem. weekend, couldn't remember the exact date.
Thanks again