PDA

View Full Version : 5/22/11 fishing report

John Carlson
05-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I did a little bank fishing for Walleye after the rain last night and did really well, I set up in an area where there is some run off current and caught a mixed bag of fish, I kept 2 walleyes one about 14 that was deep hooked and a 16. I caught about 20 walleyes and let go fish from 9" to a little over 16". The pike and bass were also very active. What I look for are small streams or ditchs that pretty much flood during heavy rains. This fast shot of current brings a lot of oxygen and food into the lake in a small area. Within an hour of the heavy runoff the fish start to pile into these areas to feed heavy. In the area I fished last night I used a simple clip on bobber with about 30" of line under it and a #2 octo hook and a small split shot. I'm still having my best luck on minnows but customers are reporting that leechs and crawlers are working too. My tip is next time you see it rain hard get down to your fav lake and look for these high runoff areas and take note of them and the next time you get a heavy rain load up your rods and bait and head to those areas and give it a try. I fish a couple of these areas right in the city limits of Phillips, hint storm sewer outlets are scattered around the shorline of Duroy, Elk, and Long.

Cjack
05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
where did the tornado hit? Any damage reports up there?

John Carlson
05-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Musser Lake Area, Trees down, A barn down and some minor damage to homes and cabins, thats all I know so far.