PDA

View Full Version : Holy Muskies!!!!

Arizonangler
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I've been hearing reports on another message board for my local lake in Chester county, Marsh Creek, about how many muskies are escaping through the dam and entering a trout stream from the tailrace. I was skeptical of all these reports until this morning. My son and I went to check it out and I was shocked at all the muskies that were in the tailrace and the stream. We saw 18 fish in total, ranging from about 30 inches to a nice one probably 48 or better. My son actually caught three, a 34" a 38" and a 44" all on white Senkos. I've never seen so many muskies in such a small stretch of water before. Hopefully some of the local MI50 members are going to try to net them and return them to the lake before the water in the tailrace gets to warm. Any reason so many fish would travel through the dam to enter the tailrace? There is always a fish or two in there in years past, but this is something I have never seen before.

Red Childress
05-23-2011, 07:01 AM
It sounds like some serious spawning migration going on there. Is the dam a "low head" or sluice type or actual dam with gates??

I think we have seriously underestimated just how far "river" muskies will travel in a given year.

Great to hear about your son hammering a few muskies!

ppalko
05-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Could these fish be migrating upstream from somewhere?? I'm not familiar with this area but upstream migration to a dam is common for other species. The walleye run to the Pymie tailrace for example...

Red Childress
05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
If I am not mistaken, the muskies are stocked in the lake and there is no stocked waterway that connects to the spillway/tailrace so an upstream migration is probably not happening but I could easily be wrong.

catchandrelease
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
If I am not mistaken, the muskies are stocked in the lake and there is no stocked waterway that connects to the spillway/tailrace so an upstream migration is probably not happening but I could easily be wrong.

I believe you're correct.

Arizonangler
05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
You are both correct. there is no downstream muskie water for these fish. they are stocked in the lake and seem to be coming through the sluice type dam and into the tailrace and eventually into a trout stream. All the trout guys here are up in arms, and we are trying to relocate these fish, but it is tough going.

Bushkilltom
05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Its been alot of work to get 5 fish back to the lake. They drew the lake down for a structure project and released 5 years worth of muskies we had been stocking . We are planing a full weekend of relocation the fish back to the lake and the state is helping . We can only hope to save 50% of the fish we worked so hard to raise . Ill let you know how we do Tom