PDA

View Full Version : Where the fish are...

rk_diver
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been out quite a bit running the side scan looking for cool stuff to dive on. Lately I've been on Waubesa and it tracks with what I'd been seeing on Mendota. Find the structure and you'll find the fish. For those that have attended some of my seminars I've mentioned/showed where a lot of this structure is. Examples from the last two days on Waubesa; two submerged boats I found had a lot of bluegills hanging on them (and some carp which is making poor water clarity even worse), as well as a few Crappie and perch. I fished it for a few minutes and ended up with a 9" (measured) perch. I didn't catch any of the gills (which surprised me) so I can't say how big they actually were. Note when I find something with the side scan I drop the Marcum or Aqua-Vu camera down to see what it is. I record the video out onto my digital camcorder. Video quality isn't real good, but usually good enough to see what's going on. A third car also had gills, carp and a couple walleyes. A submerged boat hoist had the most gills on it. Deep water weed beds had gills and perch hanging around. Rock ridges had walleyes and gills. Point is right now there's still oxygen in the deep water, and there's a lot of fish there. Once the thermocline comes in and the oxygen is depleted then it's time to stop going a whole lot deeper then the thermocline for a lot of fish species. I'll also point out that I've been seeing a few walleyes and gills out in the mud flats, in the deep water (50 to 50 feet on Mendota, 25 to 30 feet on Waubesa, and of course in the shallower water mud flats also. I will be posting a video (again, not real good quality) on you tube in the near future, either that of Face Book. Then you can see for yourself exactly what I'm talking about! Rick

Raw-Tracks
05-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Do you currently have any videos online? I would love to check them out.

rk_diver
05-18-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm working on it right now as time permits. I tried to upload one last night (of the video from Waubesa) but it failed for some reason. The videos I've taken with my digital camcorder while diving are, equipment wise, good quality. But with the poor water clarity we have most of the time the most expensive equipment in the world wouldn't help. So don't expect anything of National Geographic quality, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm trying to show. At one point I'd given Gene a dozen VHS tapes of my master dive video which he'd let anyone that wanted to could borrow and bring back when they were done watching it. This was a few years back, and I think I told him to throw them away since I'd be going to CD or DVD recordings from now on. When I have something usable online I'll post the link to it. Rick