View Full Version : Great Opener!

raywriter
05-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Two of us enjoyed some terrific action today on the bay. Anyone out there knows the wind was terrible. Boat control was tough. We trolled jointed minnow imitators (mostly Rapalas) in size 13. Orange was best. We flatlined these lures about forty to fifty feet behind the boat - no boards. We kept eight walleyes from 18" to 25". We also missed lots of good hits, and lost four fish while trying to net them on the roller coaster ride. Best depth was six feet, but we caught fish from depths of four to twelve feet. All action was up on the flats along the west side - especially over old weedbeds. Two pike and an eighteen inch smallmouth also came aboard long enough to check our registration numbers, then went back in the lake. I've had better days on the bay, but this one will be remembered because we overcame such tough conditions.

YooperTroll
05-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I am obviously a wuss and not worthy. Thanks for sharing your story with those of us lacking the fortitude ;)

Were you (generally) shallow? I'd assume you were in the northern part of the bay today.

tomjohn
05-15-2011, 06:39 PM
If I get out tomorrow I should fish the shallower water over here in Big Bay De Noc buy the sounds of it raywriter?

schmutzomatic 5000
05-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Congrat's on the catch. You deserve it after the "perfect storm." I'm with Yooper and I kept the panties on today.. Fishin show on t.v. looked like the bite was on...lol

raywriter
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
As I mentioned, we rarely got deeper than ten feet today. Our lures ran about four feet below the surface, and a lake depth of six feet was best. The fish were very shallow, probably because the water was so roiled. We stayed in the mid-section of the bay and came back to shore several times just to have a rest.

tomjohn
05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I ate fish today...Does that count? lol

The Bait Shop Guy
05-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Esky River, calm water, and hungry smallmouth, (gotta love the early catch and release season!)

Landed 6 smallies and a small pike this evening. Best one went 18 inches. Caught them all on Mann's Baby 1- crankbaits.

JBovay
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
We caught fish also, but were in a little deeper water. They hit any kind and color. The wind was the biggest battle. Today we couldn't locate the fish in the same spot, but heard some were caught again in other areas.

Prov2025
05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Chris,
Now dont catch all of the small mouths before the family and I get up to the UP at the end of June. Those are some very nice ones. I have only been out fishing 2 times this year. We are about 3 weeks away from the movers showing up to pack our house for the move to FT Bliss, Texas. Then its on to the in-laws house in Tennesse for a few weeks then its off to the UP. We hope to be up around the 24th of June and will stay for a few weeks. I have made sure I stocked up on all of the finesse worms and drop shot weights we will need. I will not run out this year for sure. I will have both of my boys with me this year, My oldest is taking some leave from the Air Force so he can get some of the hot action we had last year. Take care and I will see you in about a month.

Steven Tetreault
"ProV2025"