PDA

View Full Version : Reef Runner Help?

nitecrawler128
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Last year was my first year fishing LBDN, but I never got into the "Reef Runner" scene...I relied on the hundreds of cranks I already owned. From reading posts last year, I decided I should invest in some RR's, but money is an issue (as always with walleye fishing). My two questions are: 1)Do you guys use the 500/600 series in the spring, or start right away with the 700/800's, or is this another day-to-day on the water adjustment? ...and 2)Any color suggestions? I just don't have the cash to buy 1 of everything! Forgot to mention (if it matters), I usually fish at night. Thanx in advance for any help!

DooFighter
05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
The "reef runner" scene is a pretty cool one. Just stay away from the reefer runner scene, LOL.

I don't know the numbers but ill tend to use deep little rippers more in the spring as opposed to the big deep divers (800s?). Ripsticks can be good too. Lots of people use firetiger. I've never caught much on it but its a standby for sure. I tend to fish more later in the season and at night and most my RRs are some sort of purple. Seems like it shouldn't matter in the dark but it does.

schmutzomatic 5000
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.. I find that in the spring for post spawn and in the fall to use ripstick (800) on the outside and little ripper inside. This spring (down by Menominee we can take one eye now) the firetiger and purple prism seem to be best.. Yea if ya try to keep up with all the color's ur gunna go broke so just like husky jerks get ur popular colors and switch out. Blue, Purple, firetiger, clown and orange will get ya by enough to find what they like.. Even early spring when water temp starts to climb that is when I downsize to the bite. Now trout on the other hand will take a smaller little ripper in the spring before a ripstick I find. U will be suprized how far a fish will come up so don't be afraid ur up to far. Get um away from the boat and like stated don't know why it matters but color matters after dark too.. Even black ones (nitetrain, salamander) do great after dark.. Sound and Vibration cannot be underestimated... tight lines..

crazyeyes
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Besuretodrinkyourovaltine. Besuretotuneyourdeepdivers.