PDA

View Full Version : Gps

tomjohn
04-24-2011, 05:10 AM
I am going to guy a GPS for fishing and need some feedback on which kind to buy. I am going to be useing it mainly for fishing and am going to be putting a card in it. So what brand and which card would you recommend.

tomjohn

DooFighter
04-24-2011, 05:20 AM
That's a pretty loaded question. Be a little more specific...do you want fixed or handheld? How large of a screen do you want or have room for? If mounting how much room do you have and how will it b mounted? And most importantly, how much money do you have to spend?

I will recommend the mi lakemaster chip ...it is pretty good and usually coast $100, half what most are.

tomjohn
04-24-2011, 06:49 AM
I am looking for a hand held unit. Any price up into the $500.00's if fine.

YooperTroll
04-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I've got one of the Garmin entry-level ones (etrex). I love it. I use it mostly for hunting (as my Humminbird has a GPS on it). If the other Garmins in the higher price range are anything like my cheapy Garmin, I'd highly recommend them.

steve l
04-24-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.lake-link.com/tradingpost/itemdetails.cfm?TradingPostID=50294

here is an Ifinder by Lowrance for a decent fee.

IM MuskyTime
04-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Love my hand held Lowrance H2O. I've had it for several years and total price is only a couple hundred bucks. I have a Navionics card which covers MI, WI, MN, ND, SD and parts of Ontario (including LOTW and Eagle Lake). Great for ice fishing and travel and a nice backup to have in the boat just in case your electronics go down. Definitely worth the extra few bucks to get the color version. Very easy to learn/use.

Nothing bad to say about it at all, other than it takes a little time to find your location and to change map views at times.

Good luck.

http://www.jmsonline.net/lowrance-ifinder-h2oc-w-cig-pc.htm

schmutzomatic 5000
04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree with the previous two post... The H20 is a great user friendly little unit (as are all i-finder's) and as stated makes a good ice unit, four wheeler and back up for my HDS. Takes my Navionics and Lakemaster chip's and has been dropped,kicked, flooded, slimed, used and abused... Through it all it still keeps workin..

DooFighter
04-24-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm not a huge lowrance fan but also have an h2oc that I started out with and I functions well. Screen is a little small, especially if you're a bifocal wearer but its good all around especially with a ram suction mount.

grubworm
04-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I have the garmin gpsmap60c absolutely love it I never needed a chip as a friend gave me a copy of garmin fishing hot spots that I downloaded to my computer. I then downloaded to the gps, its really neet cuz you can also transfer your waypoints back to your computer. Garmin does not make this model anymore but the model very similar is the garmin gpsmap 62s roughly around $400

steve l
04-25-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.lake-link.com/tradingpost/

perch"n"eyes
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Does that lowrance h2o show depth contours

StinkBait
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color. Less than $200 on ebay. Much faster than the older versions for scrolling on the map, and the color upgrade from my previous Garmin is well worth the upgrade. The screen is small, but easy to read. Being able to use it with one hand is nice. The software is easy to use and accurate for contour lines. I use Fishing Hot Spots, but you have the option of Lakemaster and a few others too.

Personally I cannot wait until I can download the contour lines to my smart phone. The use would be much faster than a gps and I rarely forget my phone. The GPS is another story.....

CrankYanker
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
No Matter WHAT, Get the color screen! Its huge!
I also have an H20. Next to the Vex its my most used tool, ok maybe 3rd after the strikemaster!
Its a great feeling when it starts snowing like crazy and you have a safe route to shore... I love it. Works great in the boat as well. Need color for full sun viewing, and it really helps distinguishing contour.

bottle_bass
04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree with stinkbait. Since I got one I've definately seen my catch numbers go up and the Garmin is a really good unit for the price. The color screen makes it easier to see the depth contours. I got mine as a gift and I beleive it was around $130. It is also pretty accurate.

crazyeyes
04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I have the Lowrance Hunt - basically same as h2o. Nice units. Dropped it in six feet of water, sunk to bottom, and still worked (when brought to surface).

Yes they do sink, so having them in the chest pocket of your flannel in a fishing endeavor is. . .kind of dumb

basshunter49829
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I have the garmin gpsmap60c absolutely love it I never needed a chip as a friend gave me a copy of garmin fishing hot spots that I downloaded to my computer. I then downloaded to the gps, its really neet cuz you can also transfer your waypoints back to your computer. Garmin does not make this model anymore but the model very similar is the garmin gpsmap 62s roughly around $400

the 60 cs has the card slot for extended memory had the 60c ran out or room !! you can fit about 3 good maps on the 60c if you need maps i have all of them !

tomjohn
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I want to thank everyone for the information. I have decided to get the Navionics card. Also I went with the Lowrance Out & Back gps. I hope the two work well together.