PDA

View Full Version : End of April

Captain Rick Bentley
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Everyone who lives in the Chicago area is ready to close the book on April as the weather here has been punishing. Another Captain that has been chartering for 30 years said to me yesterday that this is the worst April he has ever seen here. As a result, most of the fleet's business this month has had to be canceled. Some days were doable but we encouraged customers to reschedule if they could on most occasions.

But, I made it out on the water to do some prospecting and fish on my own a few times and that's been fun. Because of the punishing onshore winds, our water out to about 55 feet deep is very stirred up with sand, silt, bottom dirt. Under these conditions, fishing is usually best about where the water starts getting clearer and we are catching Coho there. I also marked a ton of fish on the inside boundary of the stirred up water yesterday when I tried fishing there. So, as the weather stabilizes just a touch, we will begin seeing some really spectacular spring action like we usually do.

Next week we start to get really busy and I will of course try to keep the updates current. For even more frequent updates and photos though, follow along on the Windycitysalmon Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Windycitysalmoncom/203091972222

... Or click the 'Connect' button on the left margin on the other pages of the website. I post frequent on-the-water comments and photos on a regular basis.

Capt Rick

Attached are some more recent photos and notice we tied into some very nice Kings recently. So along with the Coho Salmon which should to begin to increase in numbers and size as we get into May, some big King Salmon are swimming in our waters right now too.