PDA

View Full Version : Bay, launch updates

The Bait Shop Guy
04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Did a little driving around yesterday to check on the bay and boat launches. It appeared that the entire bay south of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Reef is ice free.

The access at Kipling was open, but the docks weren't in yet.

Gladstone harbor still had some ice in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it open by this weekend.

The North Shore launch, (Escanaba River,) is open and the docks are in. The current is very strong, so use caution while launching there. If you back your empty trailer in too far, the current can catch it and blow it under the dock.

Escanaba harbor still has lots of ice, and is typically the last to open.

Ford River is open, but the dock is not in yet. I would guess the DNR accesses will have their docks in by this weekend.

Any word from Cedar River?

crazyeyes
04-13-2011, 10:02 PM
I rode by Cedar on Tuesday, 4/12 and it was flowing ice free, but the docks were not in.

crazyeyes
04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
by the way the lake looks low.

YooperTroll
04-14-2011, 07:37 AM
This is the first year I'll have a boat big enough to get out on the bay a little ways, so I need some info.

What are the seasonal launch fees in Gladstone and the Esky river (and is it two separate fees for the river and Esky harbor)? I assume the Kipling, Ford River, and Rapid River launches are DNR/free?

I'm itchin to get out and do some perch fishing.

grubworm
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
As of now you couldn't even get a kayak out from the site in Rapid River. Mud and logs is all you can see, hopefully the water goes up but not sure it will. Would really be a good time to clean it up and get those logs out of there.

Jess
04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
One dock is in at Kipling. Thanks to Jim Schantz at the Shorewood for his help and loader!

bottle_bass
04-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Docks are in at Gladstone Harbor now

The Bait Shop Guy
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Esky harbor is ice free and the docks are in.

snydergb
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Has anyone been to Hunter's Point to see the water level there? Is it useable right now?