PDA

View Full Version : fishing line

Eagle 1
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi guys, getting ready to string up my rods and was wondering what line you guys use on your ultra lite and walleye rigs?? Thanks Brad

Mark Benson
04-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Eagle 1:

I have a rod set up with 6# Green Cortland Mono, two with powerpro 10#/2#diameter and 20# floro leaders for early fishing.

Mark

Jeremy Hopland
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Not to hijack the thread... Have you guys used braided line on your spinning rigs? It's getting to be Crappie/Sand Bass time down here and in years past, the mono I use to string my spinning gear gets so much memory it literally de-spools almost the entire spool whenever I cast. I wind up cutting so much off because of tangles, I barely have enough to cast to the far side of the creek.
I was thinking on trying braid due to the "no memory" qualities, but would like some feedback from those who have tried it.
Thanks!

Pete Stoltman
04-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Most of the time I use either 6 or 8lb. mono on my walleye rods. I have tried very light Spiderwire (10lb) and have had reasonably good results with it. It is very sensitive due to the non-stretch quality of the line and you do avoid the dreaded line twist that is inherent in monofilament lines. I have had good results with using the Spiderwire and then a swivel with a foot or so leader of monofilament below and going to the jig. If you have a reel with a spare spool I'd suggest setting one up with straight mono and another with the braid line of your choice. Give them both a try and see what floats your boat.

Eagle 1
04-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks everybody, thinking of going with some florocarbin. I have a buddy that is using it and he loves it. very little memory low stretch and low visability. will post my findings. sounds like a good show this weekend. Keep up the good work and thanks for the help!! Brad

Mark Benson
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Jeremy, for crappies I use the same 10/2 power pro and tie in 4'-6' of 10# floro and am really only using the 20# to prevent breakoffs at the knot when the jig gets snagged on the bottom. I could probably use 20# braid and that would reduce my breakoffs of the floro in the 10# floro when jiggin eyes, but I really love the 10/2 power pro.

Brad:

Biggest concern that may have been improved upon is the twisting of the floro if you spool entirely on the reel for fishing. It might work well with a baitcaster, but IMHO on spinning reels it seems to twist faster than mono.

Mark