PDA

View Full Version : Fox Chain 4-2-11

pgutmann
04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!! Well got out yesterday for the first time. Boat started right up and is running great. Spent the day with two long time friends Randy C. and Dale H. and boy did we pound the crappies. All told, boated well over 40; ended up keeping 25 nice 11-13". All I know we went through 4+ dozen minnows. Only fished for about 6 hours and only three spots. Water temp was running 39-41 where most of the action was. Bait of choice 1-1.5" minnow and a bobber rig. Fish were light hitters so no wieght was the key to the presentation.

Dale got all 25 keepers for a fish fry; figured he was going to be cleaning fish for a good hour......... :D

Based on past experiences, the muskie fishing is going to be very slow until we can getting some warmer days and not so cold nights. Really need to keep temps right now in the low to mid 40's night to upper 50's day for this time of year. We are about 1-2 weeks behind right now.

RealtorDail
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey Phil,
Great website you have..! Looking forward to a great year. I just joined the forum and look forward giving and getting tips for this upcoming season. Glad to see the Crappies are hitting!
Dail

emeyer
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Phil,
Any suggestions on some areas to fish for crappie wanted to take my daughter out this weekend. Also want to get the boat out, cant wait for the weather to warm up for the skis.

Thanks,
Erik

pgutmann
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Erik:

Just about any back channel you can find and get to with your boat could hold some nice crappies. I usually target channels that are close to or just off the main lakes themselves. Look for the warmest water you can. Minnows best bet for bait and add or subtract weight as needed depending on how they are hitting. Fish around piers or any structure in the water; wood typically holds the fish better. Hope this helps!