PDA

View Full Version : Sat. 4.2.11 ice report

raywriter
04-02-2011, 06:36 PM
First off, a word about posting. I am on a brand-new computer and I'm just getting set up. I see that I have some old p.m.'s and will answer them soon. I have been without a machine for a while.

3 of us went out today on the flats east of Butler's Island - well out toward mid-bay in 27' of water. We landed 10 keeper perch and some small toss backs. The ice was getting sloppy on top, but was still thick.

We walked out. About noon we moved back toward the island to a good weed edge in 15'. The number of fish we watched on camera was very entertaining, including about a dozen walleye sightings (probably about three different fish); a very long pike (several times); dozens of perch; a smallmouth bass; and a bluegill. We caught only 2 additional perch along the weeds - probably due to the predator fish there. Wigglers were best.

I'm not sure how many more trips will be possible. The ice was very black and wet on the return trip, with open water visible in places. We did see a couple ATV's out on the bay.

The Bait Shop Guy
04-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Did you guys go out from Kipling? If so, how was it crossing the island?

raywriter
04-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey Chris:

We went out from 6th Street closer to the coal piles and were able to walk out without any problem. We drilled through about 18" of ice close to shore and about the same out where we fished.