PDA

View Full Version : Bonus catch

The Bait Shop Guy
04-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I was perch fishing in the Escanaba harbor last night, and ended up catching a carp!

I was fishing in about 8 feet of water, so you can easily see what's going on down below the ice. The few perch I caught were small. I finally had a keeper sized perch swim up to my jig, and was about to eat it. At the last possible second, it took off. Just then, this big carp swims past my jig. I thought it was cool since I hadn't seen any carp this winter. Next thing I know, it does a 180, and is making a beeline for my little jig! For a split second I thought about pulling the jig away. Then I thought it's been ages since I caught a carp, and never through the ice before, let's see what happens! It sucked up the jig and it was on! About 15 minutes later I managed to get her head up the hole and flop her on the ice, just as my line breaks!

27 inches and probably 8 or 9 pounds. Not big by carp standards, but not bad for 4 pound test and a 26 inch ultralight spinning rod!

Fishfinder2010
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
hey chris, did you eat the carp or have you ever heard of anybody eating them?

an old timmer told me that any fish you catch in the cold deep waters of lake michigan are good to eat.

also my friends said his dad would chunk up carp and smoke them.

The Bait Shop Guy
04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I released it. In fact, I was in such a hurry to get it back in the water that I forgot to take my jig out of it's mouth! If anyone catches a carp with a Ratso jig stuck in it's mouth, you know who "tagged" it.

If you were going to keep one to eat, one about that size would be perfect. Use enough breading and anything will taste good:D I catch enough perch, bluegills, and walleyes over the course of the year to keep us well supplied with "premium" eating fish. Years ago one of the local grocery stores had smoked carp for sale. I bought a chunk just to give it a try. I didn't care for it.

Just enjoy them for the great sport fish that they are.