PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Wiring harness Hints and Tips

ttabaleulb
03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Do you guys have any hints/tips on keeping the plugs on the wiring harnesses clean and corrosion free? I hooked up my boat over the weekend and even though the plug on the vehicle side has a cap, it was still corroded pretty bad and I could not get the trailer lights to work.

I'm guessin all I'll need to do is use some fine sand paper and clean the contacts and be careful not to open up the contacts too wide, but I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for that type of thing.

lowbidder
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't have a "maintenance" plan, but I do carry a cordless dremel tool in my toolbox. They're very nice for removing corrosion quickly and they will get into the tight spots that your fingers have a tough time reaching.

SportJet120
03-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Silicone Dielectric grease applied to all bulb sockets and connectors should keep you corrosion free. Its waterproof and last a long time. Don't be stingy when applying. If contacts show signs of oxidation clean then apply grease. Make sure connector on truck is covered when trailer is disconnected. The grease will attract dirt.

ttabaleulb
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I thought there was a silicone product out there to help but couldn't remember exactly which one. The sand paper seemed to do the trick this time as the lights worked fine today. I'll just have to try and keep em as clean as possible.