PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss something?

Docktor
03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Is there a moratorium on fishing reports on this board now? It would be nice to know it’s still worth the journey and hear a few words of encouragement. Chad, are you out there? Would love to understand why the posts have stopped. Fishing this weekend, posting on Monday.

Kurt

AFchris
03-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Kurt,

That's just the nature of the board. I'm not even in Illinois but I can point you in the right direction.

Last week during the IMTT only six fish were caught. So the bite has been tough. But don't let that discourage you, some big fish have been boated.

Small minnow baits, gliders, and traps are always a go to in the spring. Make sure to target areas near or around spawing bays. Look for warm water, sometimes a degree or two can make a big difference. Oh, and I'd take a look to see what the winds have been doing.

Good luck and if you stick one, there better be a pic up on Monday.

Chris

Docktor
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Chris,

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. With any luck we'll load up some pics on Monday.

Kurt

russ murphy
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
My buddy Dave and I fished all day with Scott Donovan (thank you Scott) and while it was beautiful out and we fished super-hard, it was a bit tough. Tougher than I thought it would be with the warming temps. Not too awful tough, as we boated one fish (38-39 inch) on a jerk bait and had one other smack at a Killer Eel, but we were definitely fishing hard (as Scott always seems to do). Water temps were as low as 44 in the a.m. and the highest we say back in the bays later in the day was about 50.5 degrees.

I'd be curious as to how folks did today, 'cause I'll bet the water temps got considerably warmer as it only got down to the mid-50's last night and lord knows it's darn warm today.

Docktor
03-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Russ, appreciate the report. Tough day on the water beats the tough day I had at work today. Tomorrow Kinkaid, all is good. See you on the water.

Kurt

hawkeye9
03-17-2011, 09:52 PM
2x

Thanks for the report. It was obviously tough last weekend as well. Let's hope today's warmup and wind plays well for tomorrow.

Kurt, all is good. I understand the frustration with all the viewing and little reporting at times.

See ya on the water. I'm in the G3 with the yamaha. Good luck!

drewmac19
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
thanks guys for the info. good luck this weekend

Docktor
03-18-2011, 10:39 PM
All,

Got on the water at noon today. Temps cooled and the sky spit a little late in the afternoon. Water temps ranged from 48-52. One short fish on a Phantom over by the water plant. Couple of boils but otherwise pretty quite. Got the skunk out of the boat. Looking forward to a couple more days on the water.

Later,

Kurt

hawkeye9
03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
You did better than me. Your skunk crawled aboard in my vessel. I fished the North end in the chocolate soup. Thought several times of looking for cleaner water. Temps were much warmer of course. I actually saw 56 in one spot. 51-55 was typical throughout the day. The switch in wind direction didn't help. Was kinda counting on the continued Southern wind and I should have made an adjustment but was being too stubborn about what I expected rather than what I was being given.

I grabbed a crappie rod for about an hour and caught several nice fish. Just wanted a few for dinner and was much more interested in 'skis of course, so I didn't stay at that for long. Just wanted a couple of fresh fillets rather than the ones in the freezer. Besides I'm terribly out of shape and needed a break.

Oh well, getting skunked was still better than how the day began. Set the lower unit on fire when hooking up to the batteries. Actually it turned out ok. Just burned the covering off the ground wire. Sure set off alot smoke though. Called my mechanic and he just laughed and told me to go run the darn motor. Instead, I took the time to make a new connection and made it to the lake an hour or less after I had intended.

I'll be over Sunday afternoon/evening.