PDA

View Full Version : Battery Advice

formereskymo
03-14-2011, 08:50 AM
I need new batteries for my trolling motor. It is a Minn Kota bow mount Auto Pilot 72lbs 24V.

Any suggestions on some make and type of batteries. I want to find an economical choice, as just getting divorced has put me in a not so good financial situation.

But it did free up some time for fishing!

Hoosier
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
I have in the past bought batts. from Wal-mart they usually run cheaper.but long term going on 3 yrs for the $$ i don't think you can beat a gel-pak battery they seem to hold the charge longer and when i used mine last fall they ran as good as the 1st day i bought them , problem is they run around $180.oo each

D Dil D
03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Be careful paying for names. I am going on my fourth year with two 27 series batteries on a 24 Volt system from Farm & Fleet. I paid $70.00 a piece. Up your way I believe it is called Fleet Farm. All batteries are made by very few companies. I have trolled many hours on the Bay and have never run out of juice.

nitecrawler128
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I've never paid a lot for batteries. Last year was my fourth year running Wal-Mart cheapos for a 12 volt system (the batteries were also 4 years old). I will say that in late November when it got really cold out I was running out of juice, so I carried a spare battery and switched them out (no big deal). I don't know if it was the outside temp, or the age of my batteries. Anyways, I just upgraded to a 24 volt system (Terrova 80), and would pay more for batteries if they truly outperformed my Wal-Mart cheapos. I'm buying new ones anyway next month (I'm not trying to get 5 years out of these and risking not having power after a 60 mile drive to go fishing). So I'm also curious....Does anybody have a strong opinion about battery brand-name performance out there? Are there any brands that outlast others or any brands that anyone has had bad luck with?

crazyeyes
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I use Interstate srm 27 batteries in a 24 volt, 70lb thrust autopilot system. I want to say they were 80 bucks each. I got them from Pomp's in Escanaba. One went bad after I bought it and Pomp's replaced it (warranty) no questions asked. They have worked well since.

CrankYanker
03-16-2011, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=D Dil D;68393]Be careful paying for names. All batteries are made by very few companies.QUOTE]

100% True

EyeFishin
03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
I just bought new batteries for my 24 volt system and was told the same the same thing, so i bought some wally world cheapos for like 65 a piece after core. I think it has more to do with how you take care of them then anything. Keep them charged and and don't let the water level get low and they'll last.