PDA

View Full Version : Double Cowgirls

wvmuskychick
03-13-2011, 12:45 AM
I've been thinking about buying some double cowgirls and wonder if they are worth all the hype I've been seeing?? Any opinions?

Anzomcik
03-13-2011, 07:32 AM
You can not agrue with all the big fish being caught with them, so you cant say they will not work. With that being said with 4 years of fishing them i have only got one fish, and that was on Mille lacs. It was also the only bait the guide said i was to use all day for 13 hours.

You prob. have read the thread about the reels for dc10s. Anyone who fishs them knows in short order you get worn out in a hurry. Alot of people have gear set just for the large bucktails like the cowgirl.

I guess to keep my post short, i personaly have not had great luck with them other have had great success with them, they are a tool. For the price they charge you could almost build two on your own. Or buy a used one, they always seem to be for sale on other forums. If you deciede to buy, buy only one to start off. You maynot like the effort needed to keep fishing the bait. Not trying to scare anyone, just telling my opinion.

muskyjerk
03-13-2011, 08:10 AM
If you are fishing them from the kayak they can be tough to fish effectively. When the retrieve is complete I've found myself halfway between where the cast landed and and where I cast from. Most strikes are said to occur when the lure hits the water (not a problem) or on the figure 8 and I still don't have a very good 8 or circle on the kayak. My success with these lures has been trolling spinnerbaits (saftey pin style). It can be tough for me to maintain a burn while trolling the kayak over a long distance. Topwater, jerk and glide baits for casting and lipped plugs for trolling seems to be best for me in the kayak.
If trolling I always use a folbe rod holder because the rod is never pinned in by the pull of the fish and long rod handle. The rod is removed by pulling straight up like a down east.

allegheny river kid
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree with anzomik on the price, i have yet to buy a double cowgirl for full price, i just cant justify it. That being said you can find them used for roughly a little more then half priced if you look around. They have produced well for me and each year seem to put a few more fish in the net then the year before. Also, there are alot of other dbl 10s out there that are built as good and even better imo then cowgirls and are priced a little more affordable. The magnum tinseltail by ROI is around $15 new and is very similar to the cowgirl, spanky baits makes a very nice dbl 10 for around $20 a piece and the tackle industries dominatrix for around $15. The one difference i noticed with the dominatrix is it pulls alot harder then any of the other blades i've used. They haven't worked everywhere i fished them but in the lower river with the dirtier water they seem to do very well and are great figure 8 baits.

Red Childress
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
A-Team Tackle Co. has the Avenger, with different shaped #10 blades making it much easier to pull them.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I use the double cowgirls quite a bit and I've had success with them but the double showgirls seems to work alot better I've caught numbers of fish on them including my two largest in 2010, the pike love em too, if you can burn the hell out of them over weeds hold on you'll get bite for sure.