PDA

View Full Version : Alum Questions

FishingMarshall
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I've never fished Alum. Usually stickto Leesville and Piedmont, but I'm making a 3 day trip to fish there next weekend. Any advice? Casting vs. trolling? Thanks for any help!

Bob Sisson
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I am a caster and typically have decent luck in the lower pool on shallow points and flats fishing rocks. I mostly use bucktails and crankbaits. White or Mustard has worked best for me. However I believe most of the guys troll and they seem to catch a lot more fish than I do. I also here the bass guys complaining about muskies coming off of all the laydowns and tearing up there spinnerbaits.

Rob VanGorder
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
March is usually good for both casting and trolling options. I would normally have made a trip or two at this point, but the non-stop rain and flooding in the area has kept me off the lake thus far.

Not to discourage your trip, but the lake is a muddy mess. It is currently at 3.45' above summer pool and the shore is up in the trees in many areas. I snapped a few shots from the Cheshire ramp on my way home tonight that I'll attach. I also noticed some big timber and lots of crap floating in deep water as I came over the Cheshire causeway.

Be careful, and best of luck to you.

Rob VanGorder

FishingMarshall
03-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the advice, but looks like I may just stay local and fish piedmont or saltfork. I'll make it to alum sometime.