PDA

View Full Version : Flowage Season Length

JeremyD
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
A buddy and I are heading to my place in Winter this weekend hoping to snowmobile, but if not, have discussed fishing the Flowage. We have received conflicting information about whether or not the season is closed on that body of water. We do know that the gamefish season closed March 6th, but I thought I saw a sign that said all panfish were now open year round. What is the correct information on panfish?

Also, if it is open, are there any areas in the Southeast portion to avoid due to sketchy ice - other than near the dam? Always been on a trail while riding across. The thought of getting out on our own makes me somewhat nervous without any experience with the Lake in the winter.

Thanks for your help!

walleyemaxx
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Jeremy,

That's a very good question. I was confused on that myself untill a couple weeks ago. I called Dave Nueswanger, the head fish guy for Hayward. I also got an email from the DNR fisheries dept in Madison. The scoop is the panfish is open year around including crappies and the bag limit is 25/day, possesion 50.

I want to repeat that Crappies are included now. The DNR came up with these changes so late in the game that every one was confused. Myself, I have never ice fished the Big Chip except for the Nov. deer hunting week in years past. I'm not familiar at all with the areas to watch for except to say use common sense. Any current area could be dangerous and any necked down areas between a lot of the islands could be Iffy.

Read Carl's report. He went from the nursery to pork barrel island. Jerky Josh reports that he saw open water in crane creek. I read somewhere that there was open water by the bridge on 'CC'. You could call Ty Sennett and ask him for advice on ice conditions. He has been ice fishing the Big Chip.

After your trip, report back here how you do. I am trying to get a ice fishing trip to the Flowage planned. I know of some spots I would really like to ice fish for Crappies. I've got so much to do to get ready for open water fishing, it'll be hard to get er done, but I'm going to try. Hope this helps you out.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to comment more on the expanded rules for the Crappies. I've been reading on other websites that this will be the end of the Crappies on the Flowage. When I talked to Dave Nueswanger from the DNR, he mentioned that the DNR was prepared to not omly change the bag limit if need be, but he thought a size limit would be a better option. He didn't explain if he meant a slot or minnimum.

Myself, I realize that a person doesn't have to keep 25 big Crappies. 9"-11" are the better eaters. Let the bigger ones go. And personnaly, I would think if you keep 10-12, then go try for Perch, which is still a good fishery, and the Blugills, which in the Chippewa Flowage is an outstanding fishery. I have at times caught a lot of Blugills that averaged an honest 81/2"-9". Those are the really BULL Bluegills. Last Summer, several times, my clients and I caught Blugills on crank baits. Talk about thimking big!

No matter what the bag limit will be on the Walleyes, remember that the Chippewa Flowage has a world class Panfish fishery. The DNR is in the process of rehabilatating the Walleyes back to prominence. But always remember that we have excellent fishing for the Panfish, Bass, and of course, the Big Chip is the best Musky lake in the world. The Walleyes are on the road to recovery and still a good fishery. It' just that we all got spoiled from years ago. That will return sooner than later now that the DNR is going to set into motion some regulations to help. Feel free to share your thoughts on this subject.

Walleyemaxx