PDA

View Full Version : Reels for bucktails

Mark G.
03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I know many of you have probably had the chance by now to throw the double bladed 10 and 13 bucktails with various reels. Based on your experiences, what have you guys found to be the best performing reel(s) just for this purpose? I am looking to get a new reel mainly for bucktails. Has anyone here used the Daiwa Saltist 20 and/or 30 with and/or without levelwind? Just wondering how much of a pain it would be to use a non-levelwind. Since both have 6.1:1 gear ratios how do they perform pulling these big blades? What other recommendations can you guys make based on those reels you have tried.

Thanks,

Mark

lowbidder
03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Mark,
Late last fall I bought a conventional (non-levelwind) reel just for the purpose of cranking in double blade bucktails for musky and maybe to do a little tuna fishing. I only got to use it a few times, but once I get better at the casting, it will be a very useful tool. I went with an Avet Raptor SX6/4 MC.

The good- At the lower gear ratio, it will still crank in as much line (per crank) as a calcutta, but with more ease. With the higher gear ratio, it will crank in more line (per crank) with a similar amount of effort to the calcutta. The incredible drag that comes with the reel is not necessary at all, but still a nice insurance policy that you will never wear out the drag. Another upside is that it's made in America from all stainless steel construction.

Now for the bad part... That stainless steel makes them heavier than a Shimano and they're complicated as all hell. You cannot whip a bait out there with a conventional reel, it must be lobbed as if you're throwing a big rubber bait. The blades will also slow the bait down going throught the air. This can be a problem even with levelwind reels, but it is amplified with the conventional reels. I would suggest buying one that has been "magged". Some models of Avet reels come with the magic cast system "MC reels". They install some type of rare earth minerals into the body of the reel. The trick is that they only work when the reel spins fast enough to create a weak magnetic field. It's kinda like a catch 22. You have to whip it out there to make the magnets work, yet by whipping it out there, you risk a nasty backlash.

Quite honestly, I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I'm looking forward to experimenting more with it this year. I do know that if you get good at casting without backlashes, they kick ass on the retrieve end. That's my opinion.

Mike

allegheny river kid
03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
A few years back i bought a saltist 40 non levelwind, the reel had no problem pulling big blades with a full spool of line. But, the reel was so heavy and cumbersome it was almost a one trick pony. I use double 10s all summer in the river and threw them with a calcutta before the saltist. It worked but not the best reel for them, atleast with it i could basically throw any lure i wanted. A year and half ago i started using the shimano torium 14, it is perfect for what i want in a reel. Its non levelwind, a 6.2:1 gear ratio pulling 36" of line on a full spool and pulls the double 10s good and works good for plastic jerkbaits. I want to try the saltist 20 levelwind at some point but i'm not sure when. I've talked to guys who really like it. The non levelwind takes a little more getting used to then most will admit. I still get some good backlashes with it here and there.

lowbidder
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=The non levelwind takes a little more getting used to then most will admit. I still get some good backlashes with it here and there.[/QUOTE]

That's the truth. Sometimes when I cast, I lightly lay my thumb on the spool as the line is going out and that seems to help, although it does shorten the cast a little. I've only done that with gloves on though. Probably not a good idea with a bare thumb. :)

Red Childress
03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I had purchased the Winch for the big blades and really did like having to crank much faster to achieve the speed I wanted. My Luna's pull them just fine but I am also in pretty dang good "fishing shape" so other's may find the Winch a very good alternative.

Anzomcik
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I have been rolling this thought through my melon for a while now. I think that the gear ration of the real is not a major factor in the reals ability to pull big blades. Hear me out..

I have two reels (both are made up, and both on the extremes to show my thinking) one is 10:1 ratio that retrieves 24" of line per rev and the other reel is 2:1 ratio that pulls in 24" of line, would you not be doingthe same amount of work "pulling the bucktail the same distance" per rev of the crank handle so the effort put in will be pretty close to the same. I did not pull out my old physics book from college but i do believe that gear ratio is about 1/3 of the equation, the other parts would be the length of the reel crank (that would have direct effect of human effort) and the spool diameter that would let you know how much line is being taken up in with each rev of the spool.

So to have a reel that pulls blade easier you would want one with less line retrieve per crank, or spool your reel with less line (that changes the amount of line take up on each rev. and will make it easier to pull in the bait)

Red Childress
03-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Good point.

Instead of buying a reel just for big blades, I have heard about guys only spooling their reels to 1/2 capacity.

Lee Snyder is sending me a couple of his #16 Double Bladed bucktails to try out this year. I have a feeling I will be pulling some line off my Luna's in order to make it through the day. :)

Mark G.
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Good info. and thanks.

WOW Red...#16's!! They could serve dual purpose as umbrellas if you get into a downpour.

Red Childress
03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Not sure how much I will pull the 16's during the day but I think they will be good for night fishing as they can be pulled slower at shallower depths and offer a larger profile.

I like to experiment with different things during the year just to see "what if"?

muskyjerk
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I've read (Musky Hunter fall or winter '07/'08) that bigger low ratio reels are the way to go. Usually mentioned are shimano calcutta and other big salt water reels. The one I have is a abu garcia 7000 big red (seems to be the lowest priced one I could find, $140 at the time). It has a 4.3:1 ratio and approx 23" per rotation. I burned out a reel with a 5.3:1 ratio first but it was not top of the line. Most of my reels weigh around 12oz and this one weighs 21oz and the bigger size is less comfortable. The big red does pull the bait ok without me having tried a better reel to see how nice it is. My experience is limited to trolling 10s on the kayak due to resistance pulling me around when I cast and my boat trips being limited.

lowbidder
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm a bit too far removed from my engineering classes to have much of an opinion on the physics behind the gear ratio & resistence, but you are correct about it not being the only factor for sure. Handle length absolutely factors into "ease of cranking" through leverage.

I know that with my 2-speed reel, it is much easier to crank on the lower gear ratio. how much of that is the gear and how much of that is due to the slower retrieve speed is anybody's guess. I do know that on the low gear ratio (3.8:1) I'm getting 24 inches per crank (at full spool) and it feels like I'm pulling a Joe's Fly spinner (slight exaggeration :)).

Red Childress
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Palming the reel vs. holding the front cork is another consideration before going with the much larger saltwater reels.