PDA

View Full Version : scared me

woodlawn mike
02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Went out of Kipling around 3 pm thursday to move my shack and get some stuff so i could go south of Gladstone with my portable. When I came back across the crack about 30 ft. off the main road was a truck sticking out of the ice. He was down even with the windshield, windows open and wipers going, no one inside.I went a little faster toward the ramp when I came around the corner there were sheriffs, ems units and a tow truck there.I made the decision not to drive out south of gladstone with my truck.Back to the four wheeler for me.

YooperTroll
02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I took my truck out straight out of Gladstone harbor yesterday. No problems. But I noticed there didn't seem to be quite as much ice as the night before. Given your story and the report of someone taking a drink by Saunders, I think I might start parking on shore now. I don't have a 4-wheeler, but I'm at the point now I'll probably start walking when I go out. Better safe than sorry.

No telling what this high wind today will do to the ice and the pressure cracks, either.

I'm pretty cautious. I tend to be one of the last to go out with my truck and one of the first to stop driving out there. I feel that mantra serves me well.