PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 2-13-2011

walleyemaxx
02-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone,

With what I thought were excellent weather conditions, the fishing was tough. Low barometer, warm temps., heavy overcast skies, and even a rain storm blew through with some very strong winds. After shoveling my ATV out of several snow banks on the way, I was able to reach a pretty good spot on my favorite lake.

The fish were there, I could see them on my Vex. But they would not hit. The fish would chase my bait up over and over, but would not commit. I changed baits often, but it did no good. This went on for several hours. Finally, just before dark, some bigger marks came in and wham, a 16" Walleye.

In the next hour, I had some hits that I missed, and caught another Walleye. That one was under sized. Then one tip up tripped, but the fish dropped it after a short run. Just after dark, another flag tripped and after the fish pulled out a ton of line, dropped it. I had fat head minnows on the tip ups. Trying to scale down a bit, but it didn't help. I caught the Walleyes on the jig pole with a spoon and waxxies of all things.

Followed my ATV tracks back out after dark, and still got stuck one more time and had to shovel myself out. The ice got thicker, up to about 20" and the snow depth is compacted but still deep with many drifts. Snowmobiles would not have a problem. My snowmobile is still broke down. so I have to use my ATV. Trucks have to back up and go forward a lot too. Any wheeled transportation is tough. So be carefull out there, and bring a shovel! Good luck to all who venture out. One silver lining to the hard access is the lower fishing pressure. I did not see any one else on the lake.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Found this article in the paper on the WFNW fishing tournament held last weekend. Courtesy of the Sawyer County Record.

Ice fishing event draws more than 1,100 anglers
by Terrell Boettcher
News Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:18 AM CST
The 15th annual Walleyes For Northwest Wisconsin family ice fishing event drew approximately 1,150 avid anglers to the ice of Lac Courte Oreilles last Saturday.

The total included approximately 375 youths, of whom the majority were age 12 or under. It was a new record high for participation and also for money raised to put back into the area fishery.

“It was an incredible success,” said WFNW President Steve Hawthorn. “We gave away the most fishing prizes ever,” including 30 in the youth division, 20 in the adult division and 30 grand prizes, he said. The event raised nearly $20,000, Hawhthorn said. Expenses were still being totaled early this week.

A total of 638 fish were registered in the event, of which approximately 38 percent were released back into the lake. An aerated tank was used to help revive some of the fish before they were put back.

“We saw more large walleyes and northerns that we have ever seen before,” said WFNW member Wayne Balsavich. “We measured 220 walleyes, of which 95 percent were in the 21- to 27-inch range. It was unbelievable.

“”The average size of the northerns was 25 inches—way up. Each walleye and northern was fat and healthy.”

Several high school youths did the fish measuring, reviving and releasing throughout the day as a school project. They were Dallas Jacobs, Zach Preston and Jarrett Yuknis. Hunter Eytcheson and Shawn Oemig helped release fish back into the lake.

Department of Natural Resources Upper Chippewa Basin fisheries supervisor Dave Neuswanger was on hand to observe the process.

Sawyer County Outdoor Projects and Education (SCOPE) sponsored and presented the prizes in the youth division. Prizes were awarded by drawing among those registering fish.

Event participants contributed $560 cash and a pickup truck load of food for the Hayward area food pantry—which was sponsored by Nelson Lumber and Floor to Ceiling. A total of 132 women registered for the Hayward Home Center giveaway.

Hawthorn added that with the amount of snow on the ice, anglers helped each other get around and off the ice. Some vehicles got stuck, but got going again with help.

This year’s major event sponsors were WRLS-FM, Hayward Bait and Bottle Shop, Hayward Power Sports, Slumberland Furniture of Hayward, Kari Toyota and SCOPE.

Didn't see Josh's picture in the article. Sounds like it was a huge success.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,

Well we're going to try it again. See if we can get to our lake in da U.P. Season is coming to an end soon, so we are going to try again. Every trip to da U.P. is an adventure. If you've never fished up there, you should try. I'll get back late on Sat. night, so my report might not happen untill Sunday.

Walleyemaxx