PDA

View Full Version : Dog Days of Winter

Brandon Dunbar
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
The time of year between first ice and ice out can be tough. The fish aren't where they were a month ago and they're not where they going to be in a month. STAY MOBILE. Think about some areas where you summer fish for walleyes and panfish. Try those. Although every lake is different, it's still a rarity to stay in one single spot all day long and pound fish.

Deep water fishing is at its best right now. Deep drop offs, main lake basins, and river channels are all target areas for both Walleyes and Panfish. Yes, there are lakes that you can still catch fish shallow. Weeds aren't a huge factor this time of year. Almost all vegetation is dead. If you can find some healthy green weeds that are producing oxygen, then that's awesome. I'd probably fish there.

For Walleyes, use Jiggin' Raps or any kind of spoon tipped with a minnow or minnow head. Crappies are still all over soft plastics and minnows. Don't be afraid to drill holes. If you're summer fishing and you're not catching anything do you stay in the same spot? STAY MOBILE.

Ross's Sport Shop has guides on the water 4-5 days a week. Numbers of fish and large fish are not uncommon. We are available to guide 7 days a week. Give us a call at 715.339.3625 or my personal number at 715.820.1286. John Carlson, John Kleczewski, and myself will be at the Ladysmith Musky Show this weekend. If you are looking for something to do come on down to this great show.