PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pike Fishing....

McDunnoftheAllegheny
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm heading up into canada this summer on a fishing trip and I have two goals one being a trophy northern(Im going way north of musky country) and also catching a good number of them on my flyrod. Has anyone ever done this before and what baits and flies produced. I'm goin with my game face on I want to make sure these fish don't know what hit em. Also going to be walleye fishing too.

ttabaleulb
02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I haven't been up north chasin Pike but I've had action around here on Rabbit Flies, Dahlberg Divers and Mega Divers. Also, The Next Bite just had an episode recently where they were "way" up north after northerns and the fly guy was using the same or similar patterns. Hope this helps and I can't wait to hear about that trek!!

Ralph
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Make sure you ask your outfitter, if you are using one, if there are any catch and release walk in Pike lakes! Most will have a canoe stashed somewhere or even a boat that you can carry a small outboard and some gas.

We have used Ogascanan Outfitters just north of North Bay. It was hilarious on their walk in lakes. We did not try bare hooks but I’m betting they would have bit! Nothing serious like they get in NW Canada but fun still the same. Most were in the 30-36 inch range. We did catch a couple in the 40 inch range which is respectable for sure!

If you can duplicate a red/white daredevil, you would be money.

ttabaleulb
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Red and White does seem to be deadly for pike. I wouldn't leave the dock without a couple red/white Barry's Pike Flies. Those things have incredible movement in the water and toothy critters just love 'em!!

McDunnoftheAllegheny
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
no guide on this trip I'm heading to Timmins then about two hours east of there livin out of a tent for 7 days on a lake in B.F.E., the fishing is tremendous from what the other guys I'm going up there with have told me. Theres a few smaller lakes around the main lake were going to be at.

flyguy
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey guys,

I'm Eric and new to posting but been reading the site for awhile and I'd like to say that there's a lot of good info here. I do a lot of flyfishing for all species (98% of my fishing is with the fly) mainly trout since I live in State College but I head to Canada every year for pike. We go just up over the St. Lawrence not way north but figured I'd give you some tips from my experience. Its similar to other posts but I'd have some big clousers and deceivers as well. I can give u some recipes for colors (especially perch patterns) I've created over the last 3-4 years if you tie your own that work really well on pike as well as smallies and I will say walleye will also probably take them. Personally I prefer natural colors to flashy stuff but it seems other people like flashy so you might take both and see if the fish have a preference. Also I highly recommend a sink tip as where I fish I have found you want to get down to the next level from the surface especially on sunny days but it may not be needed that far north.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
02-04-2011, 07:36 PM
cool I do tie my own stuff let me know what the lowdown is on them and I'll tie some up to take with me.

flyguy
02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
for the bunny perch I use a 6/0 black thread, the tail is a dark olive magnum zonker (barred if you can find them but plain olive works well also), then I tie in silver flashabou, then I tie in yellow marabou (I think the small bit of yellow is a great trigger) and then the head is a barred crawdad orange zonker wrapped. I tie it on a 3/0 or larger saltwater hook. The barred zonkers are also key the texture really makes it look real.

I tie the perch deceiver smaller and slimmer because it just destroys the smallmouth on our lake, but for pike just tie in some more bucktail for a thicker body. I start with a 2/0 or larger saltwater hook, 6/0 black thread, the tail is 2 white saddle hackles on each side, just in front of this I tie in some orange bucktail, then some yellow bucktail, for the body I wrap 4 peacock herl feathers, and add another layer of yellow bucktail followed by an orange layer on top, and finish it with silver flashabou on the underside.
The perch deceiver looks exactly like a 3-5 inch young perch in the water, you wouldn't think it by looking at it but I've seen large schools of young perch and thats when I put it together why this fly is so effective on the smallmouth in our lake. It does catch pike when they are looking for something small as well.

Feel free to put eyes on these if you usually do, I don't spend enough time at the vise to do it and these flies work well without eyes if you do not have a lot of time. I've included some pics of these flies they aren't the greatest but you can get a pretty good idea from them.