PDA

View Full Version : Esox and speed

Red Childress
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Kinda interesting.........

http://www.larryramsell.com/DOCS/Muskies%20=%20Speed.pdf

McDunnoftheAllegheny
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Thats pretty quick, from what I have been told a steelhead is the fastest freshwater fish covering 26.8 ft per second. Now I have a new question if they were measuring quick spurts or if the measurement is a sustained run?

Red Childress
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Short bursts for sure.

The Esox family have a reduced amount of mitochondria (which directly aids in sustaining muscle movements) very much like a sprinter. The steelhead/salmon would be the 'marathon runners' by comparison.

The very few articles/studies I have found dealing with speed estimates their max speed at 30 mph or so.

ttabaleulb
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I'll never forget the first time I stopped at the Musky hatchery at Chautauqua to see them in the tanks. Those fish would dart from one side of the tank to the other in an instant!! I've been to and around trout hatcheries for years and I've never seen a fresh water fish move so fast for short distances.

Thats why still to this day, I haven't experienced anything as brutal, exciting and sometimes scary as a bait being attacked by a Musky close to the boat. Almost gets the knees shakin just thinkin about it.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I see, well now just need to get on the water.