PDA

View Full Version : Whiteies...

tomjohn
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
I think I finally have a handle on the whitefish. Landed 6 whitefish...one burboy and a smallmouth bass. It was a GREAT day.

tomjohn

BiG ARN
01-29-2011, 06:16 AM
What was the trick? A underwater camera?

tomjohn
01-29-2011, 07:33 AM
I was using the camera and all I got was frustrated watching them not bite so I went to the flasher. A GREAT friend of mine taught me how to jig for these whitefish and I'm starting to catch on.

YooperTroll
01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I was useing the camera and all I got was frustrated watching them not bite so I went to the flasher. A GREAT friend of mine taught me how to jig for these whitefish and I'm starting to catch on.

Without giving away your location, could you be more specific about your technique?

BiG ARN
01-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Like yoopertroll said....we don't wanna know where your fishing. But if your gonna rub in how u got them figured out. Let us know how so we can catch some too! LoL

tomjohn
01-29-2011, 10:17 PM
As for how I jig for whitefish I really pound the bottom with the lure two or three times and then ripe it up a foot or two and let it settle back down for a couple seconds. Repete repete repete over and over again. It does get results. Be really aggresive in your jigging. If you see fish in there on your flasher KEEP jigging. I hope this helps you out.

tomjohn

YooperTroll
01-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks, tj!

19pointer
01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
i've had success with whites just laying a gold genz worm tipped with a waxie right on the bottom.... jig it aggressively to attract them, when they see it, lay it right on the bottom and don't move it!!! they'll pick it right off the bottom... lots of times, they dive at it and miss it, they can't seem to see the bait when they get really close to it, so they guess at where it is!! also, try an aggressive bait right on the bottom (jiggin rap, shiver, forage spoon), and tie a small jig about a foot up on the line with a wax worm.... just a couple things that work on the lower end of the bay, give em a try ... 19 pointer

Benzie Rover
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Tomjohn -

Right on, glad you got the swing of the whities... congrats! I totally concur on the agressive jigging... seems counter intuitive at first, but after you watch how they react to it on the graph you can quickly see there is no such thing as too fast or too quick of a jerk... ciscos/herring actually like it more sporadic and faster yet... but anyway, one question if you don't mind... are these from BBDN or LBDN???

thanks,

Matt

tomjohn
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
All of the whitefish are from Big Bay De Noc.

Fishoil
02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
A couple things I discovered on whities this year down on Green Bay: Agressive jigging with a Rap with waxies close to the bottom works better than the pimples I used last year. The sliding treble above doesn't need bait. My camera scares them off.

tomjohn
02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I did well on a Kastmaster gold and purple spoon today. A gold hammered #5 pimple did good also.

Fishoil
02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I've done good on Pimples in gold with the cracked ice tape, plain gold, and copper this year. Raps and similar style baits in black/gold, silver, or silver/chartruse green have been good too.