PDA

View Full Version : Boat Size...

walleyeguy13
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm looking at a trip to LBDN in August. Question #1: Is my 16-6 Lund Pro-V enough boat?

schmutzomatic 5000
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I am certain you have enough boat.. Have seen smaller than you out there with no prob.. Of corse conditions can change as anywhere and you have to b smart but, bay is usually protected enough for that size... IMHO

Hoosier
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a 16' sylvan i come up every fall and never had a problem, I also use it down on southern end of lake Mich. But just like anywhere get familiar with your suroundings and watch the weather for storms and or high winds. be safe and good luck!

walleyeguy13
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Gentlemen...

I did some Google Earth investigating to compare distances and I feel a little better about the size of the bay. I've taken my share of rough rides up here and appreciate the cautions to watch the weather. A little tip... when the lab throws up in the boat, it's too windy.

Question 2: Is really multiple questions. I need to have some sort of plan of attack, and on unfamiliar water I think I want to cover ground to locate walleyes (I will be investing in a chip). Are crankbaits a reasonable choice in early August? Can a guy stay fairly shallow (10-15') or do you need to run lead core deeper to get to the bigger fish?

I appreciate the tips.

schmutzomatic 5000
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Sent you a private message with some info I think will help....good luck

crazyeyes
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
August 5, 6, and 7th are the Cabela's NTC and MWC combined tournaments. On those days it looks like the take off site is in front of the Gladstone marina, with boats launching from the Esky river and Gstone marina. A lot of boats.

I'm predicting a good week prior to this the area launches will be busy. That's just a prediction...

walleyeguy13
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Crazyeyes... I'll be one of the crowd launching in the NTC. Hopefully we can find some nice quiet spots that hold a walleye or two!

Fastcat
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Hopefully we can find some nice quiet spots that hold a walleye or two!

Not likely, but good luck with that!

YooperTroll
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
A friend of mine has a Lund Rebel 16' he takes out of Ford River quite a bit. It works well but like with anything you've got to pick your days and know the weather forecast. If the wind's out of the south it doesn't take much to rough it up out there (then again the fishing's usually pretty good when the wind's out of the south--and therein lies the paradox ;))

walleyeguy13
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Isn't that the truth! I'd probably be happier to see whitecaps than smooth glass.

jtourangeau
01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Good size for LBDN.Some of BBDN .