PDA

View Full Version : Should have been eating walleye tonight!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Things have been so busy lately, that I've only been able to get out on the ice one night a week, (better than not getting out at all, I guess.) Got out of the shop around 4:30, and was fishing before 5 off the Gladstone harbor. Several people have mentioned to me that they've been doing good on anything purple, so I dug through my box and fished out a #7 metallic purple Jigging Rap I got from Fleet Farm years ago. Dropped it down, gave it three hard jigs, and a small fish appeared on the graph. One more jig and a slow lift, and it hit. An undersized one about 13 inches. Shortly after that a couple bigger fish showed up. The bigger one showed no hesitation and grabbed it. Got it's head out of the hole, (about a 20 incher,) and she came unhooked and swam back to the bottom:mad: A little while later, another group came in. Two fish swam up, one hit and missed, and then the second got the jig. That one, (about 17 inches,) got off in the hole, too!:mad: Shortly after that, a good fish showed on the graph. After a little teasing, she finally hit 8 feet off bottom. Got her up to about 10 feet below the hole, and it got off!:rolleyes: Looked to be in the 24 to 26 inch range!

Just one of those trips, I guess. Some days you can do no wrong, some days you can't do anything right. That's fishing. Looks like it's Papa Murphy's instead of fresh walleye for dinner tonight.

Got to watch a nice full moon rise, anyway.

tomjohn
01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I was watching the BIG ole moon over here on BBDN Chris. It was awesome tonight.

tomjohn

YooperTroll
01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I saw you leaving the shop yesterday Chris when I was on my way home...I knew you were going fishing! Ha, I almost shamelessly followed you to learn your secrets...alas, I turned off and went home to some cold beer instead.

Next time ;)

raywriter
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Chris:

On two occasions on the bay in the past week I caugh smelt while experimenting with perch presentations. That could explain a purple color preference. Also found a one-inch bluegill in a perch. Others have had more typical stomach content such as minnows and small crayfish.

befishin
01-21-2011, 12:19 AM
We have had lots of reports of guys catching smelt down here in the lower bay.

I haven't ice fished the bay for many years, is this just an up tic in the smelt population cycle?

Oddball
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
bait shop guy. I have been fishing the bay for a couple years and never knew if i should tip my jigging rap with a minnow head or just leave it bare. Which is more effective? Thanks

Oddball