fishincork
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Can anyone tell me what the ice is like out from the yellow gate

goingfishing
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Good I go off second gate there was at least 12 out there

Pointer
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Can I get a updated ice conditions report from someone? Coming up tonight and want know if people are driving out of Vagabond and/or days river? How much snow on the ice after this past storm?

Thanks all.

IM MuskyTime
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I drove to the northern part of Upper Bay through the Kipling launch last week---over 2 miles---and had no problems. Pressure crack is marked and there were trees down where you drove through. After that, smooth sailing.

Aside from a little snow, the conditions have remained very cold, so I would think anywhere north of Kipling---like Days River/yellow gate---would be a breeze. Kipling might be a better bet if the Days access is really rutted up...which it usually is.

Good luck.

slammer
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Traveled the entire upper bay with a truck this last week with no problems or concerns, other than the usual spots marked on hot spots maps. Not a lot of snow, but getting some good drifts out there , but managable as of yesterday. Days river, yellow gait , and Kippling access are all great. If your not sure of an area, like always, don't go there or wait for someone else to go first. There are not too many areas that have not already been traveled.
Good luck and be safe.
Slammer!!!

YooperTroll
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
I went out off the first yellow gate today, no problems. I talked to a group that said they put 21 miles on the truck driving around the bay yesterday, so that should tell you a lot about the ice conditions.

GullyWhoMper
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Yooper, I believe you probably talked to me... hahaha yes we put 21 miles on the truck just driving all over the place spot to spot ALL day... didn't get into the big schools but had a load of fun. Launched from Kipling and headed everywhere even to the north shore. Made it about 40-50 yards from head of bay fished and then started to move again looking for the schools of perch. Good fishin ya'll and take care! -Corey

YooperTroll
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey, Corey, yeah it's me (Bill). How'd you guys do today? I got a few (including a couple of 12+ inchers) but I'll probably have to augment them with some Gills I caught at Gene's to get a good meal out it ;)

GullyWhoMper
01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
We ended up getting about 15 or 16 nice perch all about 11-13 1/2 inchers. It wasn't fast and furious and you got an occasional dink, but most were big ones. Marked alot of fish and had lots of hits on both minnow and bobber and a #00 moonshine called Tangerine Tiger... seems if you jigged it aggressive they flew to it and hit.

tipup_time
01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
any trucks off south of gladstone?

The Bait Shop Guy
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I drove my truck well south of the main group off the Gladstone harbor Sunday night. Didn't go as far south as the pressure crack that appears to run all the way across the bay. Measured 15 inches of good ice. Didn't mark much, but did land a 30 inch pike on a tip-up with a large sucker minnow.